PhD position in topological graph theory
The Department of Mathematics of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam welcomes applications for a fully-funded, 4-year PhD position in topological graph theory. In …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
The Department of Mathematics of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam welcomes applications for a fully-funded, 4-year PhD position in topological graph theory. In this project you will work on complexity measures of spatial graphs under the supervision of Senja Barthel. The project will relate different complexity measures of spatial graphs to the type of surfaces (given by the genus and orientability) the spatial graphs embed in. It can be adapted to the interests and background of the successful candidate. The preferred starting date is 1 September 2020, or before.
- doing research towards writing a PhD thesis
- teaching tasks (roughly 15% of your time), which typically consist of supervising exercise classes and correcting homework
- a (prospective) MSc. degree in Mathematics (or an equivalent thereof) with excellent results
- an interest in Topology and Graph theory
- good communication skills in English
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,325 (at the start) and a maximum €2,972 (in the fourth year). The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 0.8-1.0 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for further 3 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button by 19 April 2020 and upload: a cover letter, a CV, a list of courses and grades at the MSc level, a (draft) MSc thesis if available, and the names and e-mail addresses of one or two references.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Senja Barthel
Position: Assistant Professor of Mathematics