Ongeveer 11 uur geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
PHD position In vivo recording of neural circuits of instinctive drives
The Neural Circuits of Drive team is looking for a capable PhD candidate for a 4-year project that will be carried out at the Integrative Neurophysiology …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
The Neural Circuits of Drive team is looking for a capable PhD candidate for a 4-year project that will be carried out at the Integrative Neurophysiology (INF) division at the Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research (CNCR) at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
Instinctive drives like food seeking and social interactions are in large part generated by the hypothalamus. We study how action potential firing in hypothalamic neurons is orchestrated, and how these processes constrain behaviour. This is a crucial research question as the resulting knowledge would help understand health issues such as the ongoing obesity epidemic, eating disorders, to name a few.
As a PhD candidate, your research will aim to elucidate the neural circuit mechanisms underlying the emergence of behavioural sequences, such as explore to find food, then feed, then find mates and interact socially.
- You will use a repertoire of state-of-the-art approaches in circuit neuroscience such as in vivo calcium imaging in behaving mice, optogenetics, patch clamp electrophysiology and immunohistochemistry
- You will have the opportunity to supervise Bachelor’s and Master’s students
- We are looking for someone with interest and skills in circuit neuroscience
- A university research degree is required
- Experience with the techniques mentioned is an advantage
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,395 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €3,061 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a total duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- ptional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until August 5, 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Dr. Mahesh Karnani
Position: Assistant Professor