Ongeveer 14 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
PhD student / Teaching Assistant Philosophy, Politics and Economics
Do you have completed a (research) master degree in either philosophy, politics, or economics? Do you want to combine teaching and research? And do you want to actively contribute to the community life of the John Stuart Mill College? Then, please apply for this combined PhD student / Teaching Assistant position at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
Since its founding in 2016, John Stuart Mill College of VU Amsterdam offers an international bachelor programme in Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE). The PPE programme (www.vu.nl/ppe) is a joint initiative of three faculties of VU Amsterdam. We are seeking candidates for a PhD-candidate/teaching assistant with full employment benefits.
As one of the PhD candidates/teaching assistants you will teach seminars within the College, play an active role in the PPE-community, and conduct research that results in a PhD dissertation.
The position involves 50% teaching and 50% research time.
In the role of teaching assistant you will support senior teaching staff by leading small group seminars. You will also have a role as a student tutor. You should demonstrate an ability to play an active role in the John Stuart Mill College’s social and intellectual life, as well as an aptitude for student supervision.
In the role of researcher, you will complete a PhD dissertation on a topic that falls within the interdisciplinary scope of PPE.
- a completed (research) master degree in either philosophy, politics, or economics, or (preferably) an interdisciplinary programme combining PPE disciplines
- an excellent background in philosophy
- good formal or mathematical skills
- excellent research and writing skills
- excellent command of the English language
- the ability to work in an interdisciplinary and multicultural environment
- the ability to work in a team as well as independently
- a willingness to actively contribute to the community life of the John Stuart Mill College
ConditionsWe offer an exciting opportunity to contribute to an ambitious and international bachelor programme with highly motivated students and to conduct your own research project at a renowned research university. You will receive appropriate training, personal supervision, and guidance for both your research and teaching tasks, providing an excellent start to an academic career.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts € 2,395 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to € 3.061 (PhD) per month from the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1,0 fte.
The initial appointment will be for 1 year. Subject to satisfactory evaluation, the contract will be extended with a three year and a two year period for a total duration of 6 years. The starting date will preferably be 1 September 2021.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until July 1, 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
prof. dr. Lieven Decock