3 dagen geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Postdoc In Effect-Directed Analysis To Unravel Chemical Mixtures And Their Effects In Food And Human Matrices
Are you a toxicologist/analytical chemist, who is passionate about environmental research for the protection of human health and the environment?
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2836 - € 4474 per maand
The H2020 GreenDeal consortium ‘PANORAMIX’ (Nov 2021-2025) was formed to initiate a European-led innovation effort to mobilize the scientific progress made in recent years and to close critical gaps in the mixture risk assessment of chemicals throughout the environment-food-human continuum. We will address key problems by show-casing a novel experimental path, based on in vitro tests and chemical identity screening, towards identifying and quantifying the risk of chemical mixtures in real-life scenarios across sample types. Next, our aim is to evaluate the current human risk posed by chemical mixtures by performing case studies based on real-life exposure scenarios and to develop ready-to-use tools for mixture risk assessment that can form the basis for future regulations.
In the PANORAMIX project, a close collaboration with European partners is foreseen. The successful postdoc candidate will work on the preparation of human sample extracts for in vitro bioassay testing and high resolution mass spectrometry, using high throughput Effect-Directed Analysis to identify Chemicals of Emerging Concern. In addition, novel Effect-Based Trigger values will be derived for mixtures represented in various matrices (environment, food, human).
The postdoc will be employed at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VUA) - Department of Environment and Health (The Netherlands). The department covers three disciplines, i.e. analytical chemistry, toxicology and epidemiology. Outstanding qualities in the mono-disciplinary cornerstones yield excellent opportunities for multi- and transdisciplinary research and education. Integration leads to greater insight and discoveries and is essential to cover the complete pathway from the source of the contaminants to adverse health outcomes, from the molecular level to populations, ecosystems and society.
International collaboration is foreseen within the PANORAMIX consortium.
Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on healthy living in a safe environment!
- Prepare human blood samples for in vitro bioassay testing and chemical analysis
- Run in vitro bioassays focusing on thyroid hormone system disrupting chemicals in these extracts before and after high-resolution fractionation for Effect-Directed Analysis
- Perform suspect and nontarget chemical screening using high resolution mass spectrometry for identification of chemical mixtures
- Derive Effect-Based Trigger values for the in vitro bioassay responses and evaluate their application
- Collaborate with PANORAMIX partners regarding sample collection, extract preparation, in vitro testing, suspect and nontarget screening, derivation of Effect-Based Trigger values
- Give regular progress updates at PANORAMIX project meetings and group meetings
- Supervise students (BSc, MSc) doing an internship or literature study within the PANORAMIX project
- Write progress reports and scientific papers
- PhD degree in toxicology/life sciences with experience in chemistry, or vice versa
- knowledge of and experience with suspect and nontarget screening (NTS), LC-HR-MS/MS, and identification strategies
- knowledge of sample extraction techniques
- affinity with in vitro toxicity testing, preferably with cell culturing techniques
- high energy multi-tasker with exquisite attention to detail
- ability to work independently and in collaboration with others
- strong oral and written communication skills in English
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,408 (scale 10.4)
and a maximum €4,474 (scale 10), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended to 1 November 2025 (the full duration of the project).
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
- contribution to commuting expenses
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 15 November 2021.
The anticipated starting date will be as soon as possible.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Marja Lamoree
Telephone: +31 20 59 89573
Name: Dr. ir. Timo Hamers
Position: Associate Professor
Telephone: +31 20 59 89529