3 dagen geleden - Universiteit Maastricht - Geleen
Postdoc position 'Ethnographic Study of Christian-Jewish and Christian-Muslim Couples in The Netherlands'
The VIDI Project "Unequal Partners? An Ethnographic Study of Christian-Jewish and Christian-Muslim Couples in The Netherlands" is looking for a postdoctoral research fellow.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 24 - 32 uur
- € 2790 - € 5127 per maand
Jewish and Muslim minorities in The Netherlands are confronted with Islamophobia and Antisemitism while (secularized) Christian privileges prevail. This project explores and compares how Christian-Muslim and Christian-Jewish couples handle this disparity. We focus on material and ritual practices (e.g., circumcision/baptism, Christmas/Hanukkah), as these vital/fundamental practices often reveal unequal power relations. You will participate in a dynamic research-oriented setting where you will work closely together with prof. Moyaert and with the Phd’s (to be hired in January 2022), who will conduct an ethnography respectively of the daily lives of Christian-Jewish and Christian-Muslim couples in the Netherlands. In this setting you will contribute to the group's research, teaching and valorisation activities (e. g. writing articles, presenting papers, organising workshops, conferences, and so forth). You will also play a leading role in the organization of the activities of research group (invitation of guest speakers, selection of literature, etc.). In return you will be provided with a salary, an office, and access to university libraries. This position also includes ample funding for travel and will allow you to strengthen your skillset and broaden your academic network. Your duties
- Conduct research on the project's topic, resulting in different peer reviewed journal articles
- Co-edit a special issue or book Co-organize lectures and a workshop
- Play a leading role in the organization of the research group
- Contribute to societal outreach initiatives relevant to the research project
- We are looking for candidates whose scholarly expertise is relevant to the overall goal of the project
- A Phd in the field of Social Sciences and Humanities
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English
- An ability to work together with others in a research team
- Experience in conducting ethnographic research (preferably on mixedness)
- Relevant scholarly expertise on the research themes of antisemitism, islamophobia and (secular) Christianity, Christian-Jewish/Christian-Muslim relations
- Good social and organizational skills
- Considering the ethnography will be conducted in the Netherlands, fluency in Dutch is a requirement
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,790 (scale 10)
and a maximum €5,127 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.7 FTE - 0.8 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 4 years, with the possibility of extension.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Candidates are strongly encouraged to request the project description via email firstname.lastname@example.org. The postdoc project will start in February 2022. Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 15 October 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Prof. dr. Marianne Moyaert, e-mail: email@example.com