Postdoc position: Food sustainability
Do you have experience with research on food sustainability, and would you like to work on this in an academic environment with a multidisciplinary team of professionals? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2790 - € 4402 per maand
The Postdoc will have the following two main tasks. First, (s)he will be involved in a new EU H2020 project called CITIES2030, both as work package co-leader and as researcher (around 0.65 FTE). Within the project the Postdoc has ample opportunity for developing innovative and experimental research on sustainable food production and consumption; aim here is co-development with among others the project’s pilot cities. The second main task is contributing to teaching activities that match the expertise of the Postdoc (around 0.25 FTE). Among others this means teaching in a course on Food Sustainability Governance in IVM’s Environment and Resource Management MSc programme, and supervision of BSc and MSc student projects. We strongly support the integration of research and teaching, and connecting students to the CITIES2030 project, so the two main tasks are highly complementary. Other tasks (0.1 FTE) involve limited administrative duties in support of the strong teaching and research base at IVM and supervision of PhD students where relevant. Also, the candidate may be asked to contribute to writing research proposals for Netherlands and EU research calls on food-related topics.
- co-lead work package on ‘cities’ empowerment and synergies’ in CITIES2030 EU project (co-creating resilient and sustainable food systems towards FOOD2030)
- develop innovative research within the CITIES2030 project, and publish research outcomes in international peer-reviewed journals and policy-oriented journals
- coordinate and teach in the MSc programme ‘Environment and Resource Management’ and other programmes
- PhD, MSc and BSc thesis supervision
- PhD in environmental economics or policy/governance, or a related field
- research interest in one or more of the following themes/methods: food science and sustainability, experimental and behavioural economics, food governance, economics of ecosystem services and biodiversity
- the candidate should have knowledge of and experience with academic teaching, have strong (quantitative) methodological skills, and have excellent organisational qualities
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and ranges from € 3,619 gross per month (salary scale 10.6) up to a maximum of € 4,012 (salary scale 10.9), based on full-time employment and depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE. The starting date of the position is on or before 1 April 2021. The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a total duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter before 8 January 2021. The job interviews are planned for the period January and February 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Mark Koetse
Position: Assistant Professor Environmental Economics
Telephone: +31 20 598 3194