3 dagen geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Postdoc Researcher for a Dutch FrameNet
The PostDoc will work on the NWO project Framing situations in the Dutch language. Language plays a central role in framing, as we daily choose which nouns …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 uur
- € 3303 - € 3545 per maand
The PostDoc will work on the NWO project Framing situations in the Dutch language. Language plays a central role in framing, as we daily choose which nouns and verbs describe or frame, a given situation.
For some languages, researchers created databases (called FrameNets) containing rich collections of conceptual schemas (frames) that describe situations from a certain perspective. These frames are connected to words and sentences that express them. Several lexical resources exist for Dutch, but no FrameNet. Moreover, we have limited knowledge of the variation of framing in Dutch and how this compares to other languages. The project’s objectives are 1) to create a unique data set where similar situations are framed by many different sources and texts using a newly developed data-to-text method, 2) to capture the variation in framing these situations in Dutch and other languages, 3) to capture semantic-pragmatic factors underlying the usage of different frames for similar situations, and 4) to develop semantic frame and role annotation software. An additional concrete outcome of this project is a Dutch FrameNet contributing to the renowned Berkeley Multilingual FrameNet project, which assesses the cross-linguistic validity of frames and investigates cross-linguistic variation in framing. The insights, resources and technologies created by this project provide new possibilities for (industrial) data analysts and researchers from the Humanities and Social Sciences. The project is coordinated by Prof. Dr. Piek Vossen and the PostDoc will collaborate with two PhDs (to be hired) and the research staff at CLTL and the University of Groningen.
• Further develop and apply the data-to-text method to collect Dutch, English, and Italian texts that frame the same and similar situations, starting from event-registries and structured data on events and automatically acquiring texts that make reference to these events.
• Develop an annotation environment that exploits the structured event data shared by different texts, uses the background FrameNet lexicon and ontology and results in faster and more consistent annotation.
• Train and supervise student-assistents that will carry out the annotation with the environment.
• Define crowd-annotation tasks to expand the student annotations.
• Derive a FrameNet lexicon supported by and as an abstraction of the corpus annotations; deploy this lexicon for supporting further annotations.
• Set up an evaluation framework to test the annotation and the lexicon in acquisition, annotation and lexicalisation cycles.
• Co-supervise one PhD in the project.
• Work on the synthesis of the project in colloboration with the Multilingual FrameNet project of Berkeley University.
The ideal candidate:
1. has a PhD in (computational) linguistics or computer science
2. has good knowledge and control of the Dutch language and English, preferably also Italian.
3. has a strong computational linguistics background or a computer science background with experience in natural language processing and machine learning
4. has good programming skills
5. can work well in a team
6. preferably has knowledge/experience of/with FrameNet
7. preferably has knowledge and experience in lexicology
The position is possibly expanded to a full time position with an educational task for the Research Master track Human Language Technology. We aim at starting the project between September 2018 and
The appointment will be initially for 1 year After satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, it can be extended for a total duration of 4 years.
You can find information about our excellent fringe benefits of employment at www.workingatvu.nl like:
• remuneration of 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance
• solid pension scheme (ABP)
• a minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment
• participation in Individual Choices model
• a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge.
The starting salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience, range from a minimum of € 3,303.00 gross per month up to a maximum of € 3,545.00 gross per month (salary scale 10) based on a fulltime employment.
For additional information please contact
Prof. Dr. Piek Vossen:
phone: +31 20 59 86457
Applicants are requested to write a letter in which they describe their abilities and motivation, accompanied by a curriculum vitae and one or two references (name(s) and e-mail address(es).
Please send your application before August 15 to:
Prof. Dr. Piek Vossen
Faculty of Humanities
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Application should be send by email via the application button.
Please mention the vacancy number in the e-mail header.
Any other correspondence in response to this advertisement will not be dealt with.