Ongeveer 14 uur geleden - College voor de toelating van gewasbeschermingsmiddelen en biociden (Ctgb) - Ede
POSTDOC TRADE-OFFS IN VISIONS FOR MANAGING PROTECTED AREAS: MODELLING AND PARTICIPATION
Job description The postdoc position is based in the international BiodivERsA project ‘ENVISION’ and offers a unique opportunity for collaborative, …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 2640 - € 4166 per maand
The postdoc position is based in the international BiodivERsA project ‘ENVISION’ and offers a unique opportunity for collaborative, interdisciplinary research. The ENVISION Project will study the implications of different visions on the conservation of biodiversity and ecosystem services, and the people connected to it. We do so for a distinct set of case study areas in the Netherlands, Sweden, Spain and Alaska. The project team consists of experts in the field of conservation, socio-cultural valuation, land use science and landscape management.
While there is large consensus on overarching conservation goals such as halting the loss of biodiversity and ecosystem services, efforts to put such goals into concrete targets, often reveal a difference in the visions people have on future landscapes and their use. Each vision on future landscapes comes with a particular set of management actions, and has consequences, not just for biodiversity and ecosystem services, but also for other sectors such as agriculture and forestry, and for the people living, working and spending leisure time in the area.
• develop new approaches to include science-based assessments and modelling of trade-offs under
alternative land management visions into a participatory process
• develop methods to quantify the effects of alternative visions on biodiversity and ecosystem
services to reveal synergies and trade-offs to feed into the visioning and scenario building process
• conduct the stakeholder meetings in the Netherlands and lead the activities of the project in the
multifunctional case study area in the central part of the Netherlands
• contribute to integration tasks across the different case study areas included in the project
• PhD in environmental sciences, ecology or geography with a profound interest in working in an
interdisciplinary team and engaging with stakeholders in the case study area
• experience with both quantitative (spatial/modelling) methods as well as affinity with using
qualitative (participatory) research
• knowledge of the Dutch language is an advantage for stakeholder interactions
• strong publication record
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 2.640,- and a maximum € 4.166,- in accordance with salary scale 10, depending on your education and experience. The job profile (Onderzoeker 4) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for a position of 0.85 to 1 fte for a period of 2.5 to 3 years.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of one year, with extension to 2.5 to 3 years upon satisfactory performance.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
• a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
• 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
• considerable employer’s contribution to the ABP pension scheme
• contribution to commuting expenses
• optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Are you interested in this position? Send us an e-mail with your motivation letter, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details of two references (we will only contact these for candidates selected for an interview) by 15 December 2018. Please mention the vacancy number 18445 in the e-mail header.
Name: Ms Marjolijn Staarink
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Peter Verburg
Position: Head of Department Environmental Geography
Telephone: +31 20 5983594