Ongeveer 15 uur geleden - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) - Groningen
Two Assistant Professors in Analysis and Dynamical Systems
We are seeking new colleagues who are passionate about scientific research and education. Our department is looking for mathematicians with a proven expertise …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2709 - € 5656 per maand
We are seeking new colleagues who are passionate about scientific research and education. Our department is looking for mathematicians with a proven expertise in the broad area of dynamical systems and nonlinear analysis. This may include (but is not restricted to) the theory of dynamical systems, computational dynamics, dynamics and data, (evolutionary) PDEs, geometric flows, geometric analysis, dynamics of networks, ergodic theory, stochastic and random dynamics, asymptotic analysis, as well as applications of these in science and engineering.
An appointed candidate is expected to develop her/his own research line in dynamical systems. The position of Assistant Professor is initially a tenure track position for five years. After four years, based on transparent criteria, the tenure decision will be taken. The preferred starting date is on or before September 1, 2020.
The department has a strong desire to hire more female colleagues. Therefore, women are especially encouraged to apply; please read the Ladies first initiative below.
The candidate will be expected to
- develop a research line in an area of dynamical systems
- interact with and complement existing research activities in the department (and outside)
- contribute to the teaching of the department, at both the undergraduate and graduate level
- show academic leadership nationally and internationally
- participate in departmental activities and tasks, including writing grant proposals
The successful candidate must have a PhD in mathematics, for example in the fields mentioned above, with a few years of postdoctoral experience. The candidate should
- have a strong research record, as witnessed by excellent publications, original research projects, and an international network
- be an inspiring lecturer
- have good communication and execution skills
- be fluent in English
- be willing to acquire a basic teaching qualification (‘BTQ’) as required by Dutch universities, if this qualification (or equivalent) has not been obtained already
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. Based on full-time employment, and depending on experience, the gross monthly salary ranges from € 3389 to € 5656 in accordance with Dutch academic salary scales 10, 11, or 12. The job profile (Assistant professor or “Universitair docent”) is based on the Dutch university job ranking system and the position is available for 0.8-1.0 FTE. For exceptional, experienced candidates an appointment as associate professor is a possibility.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- good paid parental leave scheme
- child daycare facilities available on campus
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button by 10 December 2019 and upload (preferably as a single pdf): a cover letter in which you describe your abilities and motivation, a research statement, a brief teaching statement, a curriculum vitae, a publication list, as well as the contact details of three potential referees
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, please contact:
Name: Prof.dr. Jan Bouwe van den Berg
Position: Professor of Mathematics