Food System Expert
A food system expert, who can contribute to research projects and capacity strengthening of other professionals across the world in support of sustainable and …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 36 uur
A food system expert, who can contribute to research projects and capacity strengthening of other professionals across the world in support of sustainable and inclusive food systems.
You will focus on supporting food systems foresight and scenario processes with partners in Africa, Middle East and Asia. Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation specializes in designing, delivering and reviewing food system support services and you will play a central role to consolidate and expand these services.
As a Food System Expert you should be able to link theory and practice and facilitate multi-stakeholder learning in change processes across the agri-food domain. At Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation, project implementation, capacity strengthening, and creation of knowledge products are closely intertwined and mutually reinforce each other. We expect you to work at all three.
You will play a strategic role in expanding the international profile and portfolio of work of our organisation. You will do so through contributing to the implementation of the Centre's increasing portfolio of work in food systems transformation, through development of knowledge products, strategic networking, and representation. Assignments can range from project implementation and project management, to action-oriented research, strategic and policy advice, capacity strengthening (including facilitating short term training) or a combination of the above. Projects take place in Sub-Saharan Africa, Asia and, to a lesser extent, Latin America.
A significant role is foreseen to be a linking pin in a new Food System Transformation programme that WUR is expecting to implement with the Environmental Change Institute of University of Oxford, supported by IFAD and the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This programme will apply evidence-based foresight and scenario analysis as a foundation for improved food system policies and delivery strategies, across public and private sectors.
- A MSc or PhD degree in Social Sciences or another field of sciences relevant for food systems transformation in low and middle income countries;
- A minimum of 5 years of working experience, preferably international, in facilitation of interactive multi-stakeholder collaboration in the domain of agriculture and food;
- Proven experience in food system analysis and food system foresight and scenarios;
- Proven ability to implement capacity development processes and to facilitate learning and development of others;
- Proven ability to engage in policy dialogues and to provide policy advice;
- A good international network and a proven ability to acquire a project portfolio;
- Affinity with an entrepreneurial and dynamic working environment;
- A result oriented team player, who is also client oriented and stress resistant;
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills with a strong ability to work and communicate across boundaries/cultures;
- Excellent on-line collaboration and communication skills;
- Willingness to travel (short missions);
- Your English proficiency is excellent (a minimum of CEFR C1 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page. Other language skills, preferably French, will be an asset.
ConditionsWageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 4% (as of December 2021);
- excellent pension scheme.
Initially you will receive an one year contract with a performance based possibility for extension.
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a multi-faceted position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief, known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research's International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling, and other issues.
Additional informationFor more information about this position, please contact Herman Brouwer, Senior advisor Multi-stakeholder Processes in Food Security via +31(0)317 481391 or email@example.com.
For more information about the procedure, please contact Sandra Willemsen, Corporate recruiter via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you want to apply?
You can apply directly using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
This vacancy will be listed up to and including the 23rd of January, 2022. We hope to schedule the first job interviews on the 1st and 2nd of February, 2022.
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) employs a large number of people with very different backgrounds and qualities, who inspire and motivate each other. We want every talent to feel at home in our organisation and be offered the same career opportunities. We therefore especially welcome applications from people who are underrepresented at WUR. For more information please go to our inclusivity page. A good example of how WUR deals with inclusiveness can be read on the page working at WUR with a functional impairment.