Lecturer: Animal Breeding and Genomics
Do you want to contribute as lecturer to improve wellbeing, robustness and health in animals? The group Animal Breeding and Genomics have an opening for an …
ongeveer een maand geleden
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingDo you want to contribute as lecturer to improve wellbeing, robustness and health in animals? The group Animal Breeding and Genomics have an opening for an enthusiastic lecturer, with a clear interest in animal genetics, genomics, bioinformatics, and breeding using molecular genetics and computational tools. This might be the right opportunity for you!
Being a member of an internationally recognized research team, you can contribute to the ongoing innovation of the group's educational program through mentorship and teaching. You will be embedded within a diverse team of senior and junior scientists and lecturers.
You are encouraged to cover up to 60% teaching load at multiple levels (BSc, MSc, PhD, postdocs and post-academic levels). You are expected to strengthen the existing connections (research, teaching, applied and translational research) within the Animal Sciences group of WUR, and its capacity to perform top level research, training of students at all levels, and produce high impact publications.
You will do all of this in an ideal working environment. Our campus is an inspiring, green place to work, and has been selected as the most sustainable campus in the world multiple times.
If you would like to see more, take a virtual tour on our campus here:
- You have demonstrated bioinformatics and computational biology research experience that complements our existing strengths in Population Genetics, Genomics and Epigenetics;
- You should have a strong track record as a PhD student and/or postdoc and show a keen and independent intellect. Establish and maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues to ensure relevance and quality of education outputs.
- Be able to handle large data sets (Bioinformatics skills i.e. scripting, design of analysis pipelines);
- You have affinity with teaching for (under)graduate students and aspiration to develop new courses with innovative teaching elements at the BSc and MSc level;
- Good organizational and excellent communication skills (both spoken and written in English);
- Awareness of the importance of dissemination and societal outreach;
- Ability to work in a team of diverse scientists and multidisciplinary teams;
- Scientific track record with publications;
- Having Universal Teaching Qualification (BKO) or other senior teaching qualification would be an asset.
ConditionsWageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and paid parental leave;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
The position is available within Wageningen University & Research Animal Breeding and Genomics, that combines the activities of Wageningen Livestock Research and Wageningen University in the field of animal breeding and genomics. This also includes close collaboration with the Centre for Genetic Resources, the Netherlands. The candidates will be employed at Wageningen University, location Wageningen.
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a unique position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
Additional informationAdditional information about the vacancy can be obtained from:
Prof. Martien Groenen (Martien.Groenen@wur.nl; +31-317-483747) or Ir. Lucia Kaal (Lucia.Kaal@wur.nl; +31 317-480515).
For further information about working at Wageningen University & Research, take a look at http://www.wur.nl/en/Jobs.htm
Do you want to apply?
You can apply directly using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
This vacancy will be listed up to and including 3 October 2021. We hope to schedule the first job interviews soon after the closing date.
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) employs a large number of people with very different backgrounds and qualities, who inspire and motivate each other. We want every talent to feel at home in our organisation and be offered the same career opportunities. We therefore especially welcome applications from people who are underrepresented at WUR. For more information please go to our inclusivity page. A good example of how WUR deals with inclusiveness can be read on the page working at WUR with a functional impairment.