Faculty of Psychology and Educational SciencesThe faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences is strong in education and research. The faculty offers …
Molecular Evolutionary Biologist
a Molecular Evolutionary Biologist.Within WBVR, the department of Virology has a vacancy for a scientist in the field of molecular virus evolution. The …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 36 uur
Functieomschrijvinga Molecular Evolutionary Biologist.
Within WBVR, the department of Virology has a vacancy for a scientist in the field of molecular virus evolution. The position requires skills in genetic analysis, phylogenetics and molecular epidemiology. You will design sampling strategies and interpret viral genome sequences to answer evolutionary and epidemiological questions. This research will initially focus on Avian Influenza and Swine Fever viruses, in particular during disease outbreaks.
Full genome sequences of the viruses are generated by next generation sequencing strategies, and large datasets of viruses with complex genome organisation need to be analysed in a geospatial and temporal context. The generation and interpretation of phylogenetic trees in relation to specific research questions is one of your key tasks. This analysis is aimed to provide insight in the source of introduction of the virus and its network of transmission, or in the functional properties (pathogenicity) related to underlying genetic features.
This position will involve close collaboration with virologists, computational biologists and epidemiologists.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Analyse the genetic evolution of Avian Influenza and Swine Fever viruses.
- Answer questions on the source of virus introduction and transmission in outbreak situations.
- You contribute to a culture of scientific excellence and state-of-the-art knowledge of virus evolution.
- You publish your results in scientific journals, and present at (inter)national meetings.
- PhD in an appropriate discipline (biology, virology, molecular evolution), or equivalent experience.
- Experience in genetic analysis, phylogenetics, molecular evolution or molecular epidemiology.
- Experience in virology.
- Familiar with (phylo)genetic analysis software such as Mega, Network, BEAST etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, and preferably also in Dutch.
- Ability to work flexible hours, with short deadlines (in outbreak situations).
- Required competences: analytical, result-driven, critical, flexible, cooperation, team work.
- A "verklaring omtrent gedrag" (certificate of conduct).
- A full-time position (36 hours) for two years, with a go-no-go decision for continuation after one year. After two years a permanent position can be considered.
- A stimulating work environment and integration in a team of experts to develop on-the-job skills.
- The position is valued as WR researcher 3 (salary scale 11) with a maximum salary of € 4847,- gross a month, depending on education and experience.
Additional informationAdditional information:
For information regarding this job you can contact Nancy Beerens (email@example.com/tel. 0320-238217).
How to apply
You can apply until March 30th. Please don't email directly to the persons mentioned above, but use the website of Wageningen University & Research: www.wur.nl/nl/Werken-bij/Vacatures.htm
Wageningen Bioveterinary Research (located in Lelystad) is a knowledge organization with an international reputation in the field of animal health. The core activities feature scientific and practice-based research. The staff of about 250 highly qualified people undertakes research for a large group of clients. The research varies from specialist to multi-disciplinary. WBVR is part of Wageningen University and Research.