PhD Animal Ethics Insectfeed
Do you want to follow your real passion for animal ethics and sustainable food production in a PhD study in our Philosophy group? Are you an open minded …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
Do you want to follow your real passion for animal ethics and sustainable food production in a PhD study in our Philosophy group? Are you an open minded thinker who likes to collaborate with other researchers in an ambitious research program? We are looking for You are a hardworking PhD candidate in the field of animal ethics for a study on using insects for sustainable animal feed. Your research involves a philosophical analysis of welfare concepts and critically reviewing their applicability to insects. You will also develop an understanding of the moral status of insects, and explore practical implications for rearing insects for animal feed. You will closely collaborate with entomologists and with other scientists and partners in the insect sector in the interdisciplinary research program INSECTFEED.
- You are an enthusiastic, dedicated and engaged thinker who is well capable to work in interdisciplinary contexts.
- You like to explore fundamental questions in animal ethics, but also to develop and review practical implications for farming.
- You have an MA degree in Philosophy or Applied Ethics, with experience in animal ethics, and interest in the philosophy of animal minds.
- The position requires excellent English language proficiency (a minimum of CEFR C1 level). You can find more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page.
- Our PhD students are supported to supervise MSc thesis students when such opportunities arise, and you will take up teaching activities.
ConditionsWe offer a full-time position (38 hours), initially for 1,5 year and will be extended for another 2,5 years, after a positive decision during the go/no go process. Gross salary per month € 2.325 in the first year rising to € 2.972 per month in the fourth year, for a fulltime appointment. You will be based at the Laboratory of Entomology in Wageningen.
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a flexible working time: the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra and thereby to build up extra leave;
- a choice model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented;
- use the sports facilities on campus
- Wageningen University & Research stimulates internal career opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy.
Additional informationFor more information please contact Dr Bernice Bovenkerk (email@example.com) or prof dr Marcel Verweij (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can apply up and until 13 October 2019.
The interviews are planned for either 18 or 21 October. The position is to start on 1 January 2020 at the latest.
Please apply by using the vacancy link.