PhD candidate 'insect-fed poultry'
We invite applications for a PhD position within a project with the title: 'Economic robustness analyses of insect-fed poultry production chains'. This …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
We invite applications for a PhD position within a project with the title: 'Economic robustness analyses of insect-fed poultry production chains'. This research will be carried out within the framework of a recently started NWO-funded project 'Insects as sustainable feed for a circular economy', in which a large number of Dutch research institutes and stakeholders participate. The PhD research is multi-disciplinary and involves close collaboration with other research areas, particularly within the project, both beta (e.g. livestock production and substrate provision and entomology) and gamma (e.g. ethics and consumer behavior). The research is focused on four main questions: (1) development of bio-economic value chain models for broiler and egg production, (2) a comprehensive inventory of risk factors, (3) analysis of robustness of the value chains subject to various risk-scenarios, and (4) development of various business cases for future decision making. This multi-disciplinary research focuses on poultry production and its economics, however has links with insect production (including health and welfare), ethics and consumer behaviour, and economic risk analysis. Various techniques will be applied, such as statistical analysis, bio-economic modeling of poultry production/value chains and system optimization. Relevant courses to overcome gaps in knowledge and/or skills will be offered.
The successful candidate is expected to have an MSc in either (1) economics (e.g. agricultural economics, quantitative economics, general economics), or (2) animal production with a proven interest in economics. Knowledge of Dutch language is not essential, but can be a pre.
This position requires an excellent English language proficiency (a mininum of CEFR C1 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page.
ConditionsWe offer a challenging, multi-disciplinary and future oriented research project, embedded in a stimulating scientific environment as well stakeholder and policy environment.
In principle this is a 48 month PhD position. We offer you a temporary contract for 18 months which will be extended with 30 months if you perform well. Salary will increase from € 2325 gross per month in the first year up to € 2972 in the last year, based on a full-time appointment (38 hours a week) in accordance with the Collective Labor Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a flexible working time: the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra and thereby to build up extra leave;
- a choice model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented;
- use the sports facilities on campus.
We offer a versatile job in an international environment with varied activities in a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
Additional informationFor more information about this function and procedure, please contact Helmut Saatkamp, member of the chair of Business Economics, telephone +31-317482232 or by e-mail; firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this position upload your CV and a letter of motivation on our website, before October 21, 2019.
The preferred starting date is not later than January 1, 2020.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature