Ongeveer 21 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD - Nature-based design and maintenance of dikes
Are you highly motivated and skilled researcher and concerned about the impact of climate change on flood risk ? And can you develop optimal nature-based …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
Are you highly motivated and skilled researcher and concerned about the impact of climate change on flood risk ? And can you develop optimal nature-based adaptation schemes for dikes, based on excellent research? And are your able you disseminate the findings to a broad audience with your outstanding communication skills? The we are looking for you!
Within the NWO Living Labs in the Dutch Delta Program 'The Hedwige-Prosper Polder as a large experiment in managed realignment: integrating saltmarshes in water safety', you will explore different nature-based construction and maintenance regimes for wide grass-covered dikes by experimental manipulations of dikes (adaptation of the dike by application of local material, as well as management regimes for removal of debris), modelling, literature study and field visits. This will yield insight in the combined biodiversity and safety services value of a restored wetland for human society, and must result in guidelines for the optimal construction schemes and maintenance strategies for wide green dikes incorporating economic cost, technical safety, ecological value and future-proof sustainability.
The project will be developed in close collaboration with TU Delft, NIOZ and HZ Zeeland and relevant partners (i.e. STOWA, Province of Zeeland, Rijkswaterstaat, waterboard 38Scheldestromen, knowledge institutes and companies.
- M.Sc. in Earth and Environment, Biology, Civil Engineering or equivalent, with interest in flood protection, nature-based solutions, geography, landscape processes, planning and ecology;
- Experience with and strong interest in flood risk management (either through work experience or specialization during your M.Sc);
- Experience with and strong interest in ecosystem services and land and water management (either through work experience or specialization during your M.Sc);
- Strong collaborative skills;
- Excellent communication and writing skills (both in English and Dutch, in order to conduct research in close interaction with partners in the Netherlands and to communicate the results to an international audience)
ConditionsFulltime position: 4 years, starting with an 18 month contract. If your suitability in this position is apparent your period of employment will be extended to the remainder of your PhD-study. Commencing as soon as possible. Gross salary starts at € 2042 during the first year growing to € 2612 Euro/month during the fourth year. This project is funded by the Dutch Research Council (NWO), The Netherlands.
In addition we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% fixed-year allowance
- Excellent training opportunities and secondary working conditions;
- Flexible working hours and vacations can in consultation with colleagues be settled so that a good balance between work and private is possible;
- An excellent pension scheme via ABP;
- 232 holiday hours, the ability to purchase and good supplementary leave arrangements and an individualized model to compose part of your working conditions and a bicycle plan;
- sports facilities available on the campus;
- we stimulate internal growth opportunities and mobility with an active and internal recruitment policy. There are ample opportunities for own initiative in a creative learning environment.
Additional informationMore details about the role can be obtained by contacting dr. ir. J.M. van Loon-Steensma (mail: email@example.com), telephone: +31 317 485812 or Prof. C. Kroeze (mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), telephone: +31 317 485070.
For additional information about the process please contact Edgar Tijhuis, corporate recruiter (mail: email@example.com).
You can apply up to November 27th 2019, only via the apply button on this page. A scanned copy of your M.Sc diploma and grade list should be added to your CV (combined in one Pdf).
Equal opportunities employer
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Furthermore, given our active policy to be as inclusive as possible as organization, we warmly invite international and female scholars to apply.