Project descriptionThe researcher will carry out research on Buddhist scriptures. This is part of the ERC-funded project, “The Composition of Buddhist …
PhD Quantification of Resilience of Socio-Ecological Systems
Within the Chair group Applied Mathematics we have a vacancy for a PhD on the subject quantification of resilience. Resilience is an emergent property of …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
Within the Chair group Applied Mathematics we have a vacancy for a PhD on the subject quantification of resilience. Resilience is an emergent property of Socio-ecological Systems (SES, like fisheries, forestry systems, agro-food systems, etc.) and intensively studied at Wageningen University & Research (WUR). The resilience of SES is of vital importance given the increasing demand for their services by an increasing world population and in the face of climate change. In this PhD position you will work on the development of new quantitative methodologies for the assessment of resilience in SES based on agent-based modelling, and apply these methodologies in different case studies in collaboration with scientists from other disciplines and stakeholders. Collaboration is intended with people both from within WUR and within the 4TU, primarily in the programme "Designing Systems for Informed Resilience Engineering (DeSIRE)", an ambitious programme that brings together many scientists from 12 faculties of all four universities in 4TU and various stakeholders. Good communication skills and an keen interest in multidisciplinary research are clear benefits. The work is expected to lead to a PhD-thesis. You may also participate in the teaching duties of the group.
The ideal candidate
- has obtained a MSc in applied mathematics, theoretical biology, theoretical physics or a closely related field with a strong quantitative component;
- has tangible experience in (simulation) modelling, preferably with prior experience in agent-based modelling and/or resilience research;
- has tangible experience in programming, for instance in R, C++, Matlab, and preferably also in software for agent-based modelling, like NetLogo;
- has a keen interest in multidisciplinary research and collaboration with scientists from various backgrounds, including environmental, animal, and social sciences;
- has good communication skills;
- is fluent in oral and written English.
ConditionsWe offer you a full-time position for a period of 12 months with the intention to extend it with 36 months for PhD's. The gross salary per month is € 2042,= in the first year rising to € 2612,= per month in the fourth year. The position is In a creative and inspiring working environment, with opportunities for self-development in the many aspects of mathematics covered by Biometris.
Additional informationFor more information about this position, please contact prof dr. Jaap Molenaar ( +31 317 486042 , firstname.lastname@example.org) or dr. George van Voorn ( +31 317 484616 , email@example.com ).
You can apply up and until 25 May 2018
For this position you can only apply on line: www.wageningenur.nl/career
Don't email your application directly to the people mentioned above, but use the website to apply.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature