Ongeveer 13 uur geleden - Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA) - Amsterdam
PhD student Susceptibility genes in cucurbits
As PhD student, you will evaluate candidate susceptibility genes for several diseases in cucumber and melon. For this purpose, you will make targeted …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 36 uur
As PhD student, you will evaluate candidate susceptibility genes for several diseases in cucumber and melon. For this purpose, you will make targeted mutations in these candidate genes and their promoters, using CRISPR-Cas9, and estimate effects of these mutations on disease resistance, and fitness of the plants. The aim is maximizing disease resistance, while minimalizing fitness costs. The project is financed by several breeding companies.
We are looking for a versatile team player with the following qualities:
- MSc in biology, plant sciences or related areas with a major in molecular plant breeding and phytopathology or equivalent experience.
- Excellence in molecular techniques, such as making constructs and transformation.
- Thorough knowledge about plant - pathogen interactions.
- High affinity with tissue culture work.
- Affinity with genetic research and statistical data analysis.
- A keen interest in fundamental and applied research.
- Has creative, innovative ideas and can initiate research independently.
- Accurate in performing research.
- Self-disciplined and pragmatic mind set.
- Effective networker with academic scientists of various disciplines.
- Excellent spoken and written communicative skills in English.
ConditionsWe offer a full-time PhD position for a period of 4 years at Wageningen University. Gross salary per month € 2.266 the first year up to € 2.897 the fourth year.
Additional informationFor more information about this position, please contact Dr. Henk Schouten (firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +31 317 481074) or Dr. Yuling Bai, (email@example.com, phone +31 317 482 136).
For information on the selection procedure, please consult Ms. Hedwig Casteels (firstname.lastname@example.org).
You can apply up and until August 6, 2018
For this position you can only apply online: www.wur.eu/career
Please do not submit your application by email to the persons above.