Post doc Hyperspectral Imaging for In Ovo Sexing
Are you the young ambitious researcher who wants to develop a solution pipeline for rapid in ovo sexing of chickens and contribute to the improvement of the …
ongeveer een maand geleden
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingAre you the young ambitious researcher who wants to develop a solution pipeline for rapid in ovo sexing of chickens and contribute to the improvement of the poultry welfare? Do you like to collaborate with other researchers from different scientific fields and countries? Then this is your chance!
Would you enjoy applying machine learning approaches on spectroscopic data (hyperspectral and RAMAN) to support in Ovo sexing of chicken embryos? We are looking for a postdoctoral research fellow who has expertise and is fully familiar with hyperspectral imaging and/or RAMAN imaging techniques and is interested to develop a pipeline for rapid high throughput solution for in-ovo chicken egg sexing. In this position, you will contribute, initiate, and lead the research and development process of how to apply imaging technologies to empower reaching solutions in discriminating between male and female chicken embryos via biochemical and genomic factors. You work in close collaboration with members from Adaptation Physiology group comprised of animal scientists, poultry experts, bioengineer in collaboration with industrial personnel. The successful candidate will be an innovator and will work independently as well as in a team setting.
This position will be placed in the chair group Adaptation Physiology. This is a multidisciplinary group with approximately 15 staff members, 20 PhD students, and 8 technicians.
Your role as post doc researcher is to:
- Design and develop a tool to aid in the automatic, early, and rapid detection of indicative biomarkers of sexes (male vs female) from biochemical or genomic insights in chicken embryos.
- Collaborate with and supervise PhD students in the development of solutions for in ovo sexing
- Develop tools and methodologies for hyperspectral image analysis
- Prepare chicken egg materials & collect data cubes, execute data analysis, employ advanced statistical methods or deep learning methods, and write reports
- Collect and analyze data, including literature surveys
- Engage in dissemination of research results to group meetings, conference papers and contribute to preparing grant proposals and journal publications
- Provide technical assistance and training of lab personnel, PhD, MSc students, and other researchers involved in the project and in the research group
- Engage and work successfully with multidisciplinary project teams
- A PhD in biomedical engineering, electrical, chemical, or bioengineering, applied physics or another relevant field;
- Previous experience with analysis of hyperspectral and or RAMAN data, data visualization, feature extraction, and advanced statistical data analysis would be an asset;
- Experience in developing code and using python programming, KNN, CNN, Random Forest machine learning methods;
- Enjoy thinking out of the box, being critical, help to solve problems and work in a diverse team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills in English; very good project management abilities;
- A social team player attitude with strong ability to collaborate with researchers from different scientific fields;
- A pro-active, independent working style and enthusiasm for working in a multi-disciplinary and collaborative research environment;
ConditionsWageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and paid parental leave;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- there is a strong focus on vitality, and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
The duration of the contract is for two years.
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a unique position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in the Netherlands and at a university that has been chosen as the "Best University" in the Netherlands for the 16th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research center for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief, known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research's International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling, and other issues.
Additional informationFor more information about this position, please contact Dr. Suresh Neethirajan, email@example.com
For more information about the procedure, please contact Eliene Veneberg, HR advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you want to apply?
You can apply directly using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
This vacancy will be listed up to and including 2 October 2021. We hope to schedule the first job interviews in October 2021.
Application Package Must Contain
- Motivation cover letter (2 pages) stating your interest for this position, your qualifications and previous research and the earliest date of availability;
- Up to date curriculum vitae with contact information of at least 2 references;
- Copies of evidence of written skills, such as list of publications, technical reports, or conference papers.