Postdoc Solar Research Program
The development of solar parks is met with increasing resistance. Concerns about the competition between solar energy generation and food production, or about …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 32 uur
The development of solar parks is met with increasing resistance. Concerns about the competition between solar energy generation and food production, or about their impacts on biodiversity and spatial quality, necessitate a further improvement of solar parks. The Solar Research Program is a joint initiative of Wageningen University and Wageningen Environmental Research (WEnR) to consolidate and advance cross-domain research for a sustainable implementation of solar energy technologies in the landscape. In this One Wageningen program, researchers from spatial, social, technical and other sciences jointly address the shortcomings of conventional solar parks. For this, we currently distinguish six themes: spatial quality, biodiversity, soil quality, public acceptance, agriculture, and technological innovation.
We are looking for a postdoc to support the Solar Research Program and to conduct research with a focus on spatial quality, employing novel theories such as 'relational space' from energy geography. According to this theory, spaces of energy development are actively constituted through a series of social and materials relations. Landscape, in other words, is not a pre-existing, fixed commodity but an unfinished project shaped by societal preferences and technological possibilities.
The Solar Research Program provides a multi-year platform for committed postdocs, talented PhD candidates, and senior researchers to collaborate with relevant societal and industrial partners on pressing scientific questions. The programme is a viable addition to the growing research community for energy transition in Wageningen (e.g. WUR Energy Alliance). The postdoc will collaborate intensively with the two coordinators of the Solar Research Program, the members of the core team, and several PhD candidates studying the solar-landscape nexus. The key activities of the postdoc can be divided across five fields:
- Strategic collaboration including project acquisition (e.g. consortia building and proposal writing)
- Coordinating research programming with commercial/public partners (e.g. test field alliance)
- Conducting research (e.g. field labs) and publishing academic as well as professional papers
- Contributing to education (e.g. guest lectures, co-supervising Bachelor and Master theses)
- Organisation and communication (e.g. program outreach and supporting WUR Energy Alliance)
We are searching for a highly motivated and skilled colleague who should have:
- A PhD in relevant environmental, social or technical disciplines
- Experience in solar research and the integration of renewable energy in the larger environment/landscapes
- Proven acquisition and project management skills
- Excellent command of English and Dutch
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Affinity with working in interdisciplinary teams
- Experience in supervising PhD students is considered an advantage
ConditionsWe offer a stimulating and creative academic working environment with good relations to Landscape Architecture, Spatial Planning and related disciplines in the Netherlands and abroad. Training and coaching are provided and international cooperation is stimulated. More specifically, we offer you a 0.8 FTE temporary position for a period of two years. Depending on your expertise and experience a salary from a minimum of € 2709,- (gross) to a maximum of € 4978,- (gross) based on fulltime employment.
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- structural year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- flexible working time: the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra and thereby to build up extra leave;
- choice model to select a part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented.
Additional informationAdditional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Dr. Sven Stremke, Associate Professor Landscape Architecture, email: email@example.com. Information about the working conditions can be obtained from Ms. Patty van Beek, HRM-advisor, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates should provide the following information in one file for their application:
- Cover letter which explains your suitability, competence and motivation for the scientific research and other tasks;
- Detailed CV;
- Copy of the PhD diploma;
- A list of publications (SEP format: academic, professional, publ. general public & other output);
- Applicants who do not have Dutch as mother tongue should include a certificate (preferably CNaVT) proving the language ability in Dutch language at C1 level;
- Contact information of (at least) two referees incl. phone number.
Please do not send your application directly to Dr. Sven Stremke or Ms. Van Beek, but via the online submission system.