Scientific researcher Biological Pest Control
Do you have a passion for biological pest control and do you want to commit yourself to one of the world's leading sectors of agriculture; greenhouse …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 36 uur
FunctieomschrijvingDo you have a passion for biological pest control and do you want to commit yourself to one of the world's leading sectors of agriculture; greenhouse horticulture? Are you willing to work on new solutions together with growers, suppliers, governments and other researchers?
As researcher biological pest control you develop new systems for biological pest control and improve existing systems. You work with experts in the field of plant health, cultivation, and technology. You contribute to both sustainability of (greenhouse) horticulture in the Netherlands and in other parts of the world.
In this position, you do applied research in the field of entomology and acarology. Your task include:
- The evaluation of new natural enemies (both arthropods and microorganisms), studies to enhance the establishment and functioning of natural enemies in greenhouses, the interaction of pests and natural enemies with the greenhouse climate, plant resilience, plant nutrition and biodiversity and the interaction of biological control with other control measures.
- The translation of practical challenges of pest management in research proposals.
- Leading and coordination of projects, work on lab and greenhouse trials
- Analyse research results, write reports and scientific papers
- Presentation of project results
- Contact with project stakeholders and acquiring new research projects
- Supervision of technicians, interns and students
- An academic degree (MSc) in plant biology, ecology or crop protection with a specialization in entomology
- Preferably possessing a PhD or similar work experience;
- An enthusiastic and ambitious colleague who is strong in communication, easily connects with professionals across disciplines and educational background and has excellent organizational skills.
- Network in (greenhouse) horticulture is recommended;
- Experienced in designing and organizing lab and greenhouse/field trials
- Experience with complex data processing and statistical analyses (preferably in R)
- Excellent control of both Dutch and English. This position requires an excellent English language proficiency (a mininum of CEFR C1 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page.
- Excellent writing and oral presentations, as evidenced by publication list;
- Driving licence B.
ConditionsFor this challenging role you will be rewarded with a a competitive salary starting at € 3336,- with growth to € 5183,- for a 36 hours full time working week.
Salary is based on the Central Labour Agreement of the Foundation Wageningen Research and depends on your experience and qualifications. The duration of the employment is initially for the period of one year with possibilities for renewal. You will be part of an ambitious team working on a wide range of issues with plenty of room for initiative. Personal input and responsibility are an integral part of our culture
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural end-of-year bonus of 3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 171 vacation hours, the possibility to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a flexible model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- excellent facilities to accommodate home-office work;
Additional informationDo you want more information?
For more information about this position you can contact Caroline van der Salm, teamleider WUR Glastuinbouw, Gewasgezondheid, Bodem en Water, firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find out more about the procedure by contacting email: email@example.com
More inforemation about the business unit greenhouse-horticulture
Do you want to apply?
This can be done directly via the application button at the vacancy on our website so that we can process your personal data with your permission.
This vacancy is open until 25 November 2020. The interviews will take place in week 49 (from 30 November) 2020.
Equal opportunities employer
We are an employer that offers equal opportunities. We are happy to receive applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of race, gender, functional impairment, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age.We believe that a diverse and inclusive working environment makes us a more relevant, competitive and resilient organization. Click here for more information about working at WUR with a functional impairment.