PhD position Controlling spins through symmetry in 2D materials (1.0 FTE)
The PhD project will focus on the study of generation and detection of spins and magnetisation in devices based on two-dimensional materials and heterostructures. You will exploit, engineer and manipulate the symmetries of two-dimensional materials to control their magnetic and s
- Broerstraat, Groningen, Groningen
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 2972 - € 2972 per maand
The PhD project will focus on the study of generation and detection of spins and magnetisation in devices based on two-dimensional materials and heterostructures. You will exploit, engineer and manipulate the symmetries of two-dimensional materials to control their magnetic and spintronic properties and quantify them using optical and electrical characterisation techniques.
- a master’s degree in physics, electrical engineering, material science, or another related field
- previous experience in optics, electronic transport, nanofabrication, or two-dimensional materials and heterostructures is a plus
- some computer programming knowledge is appreciated
- good spoken and written English proficiency is required.
ConditionsWe offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
- a salary of € 2,325 gross per month in the first year to a maximum of € 2,972 gross per month in the final year (salary scale PhD students), based on a full-time position (1.0 FTE)
- an holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income excluding
- an 8.3% year-end bonus
- a position for four years; you will get a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years; prolongation of the contract is contingent on sufficient progress in the first year to indicate that a successful completion of the PhD thesis within the contract period is to be expected
- a PhD training programme is part of the agreement and you will be enrolled in the Graduate School of the Faculty.
The conditions of employment are available at our website under
Human Resources: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/
The PhD position is available from 1 September 2019 and will remain open until filled.
Apply for this position by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Applications sent by email will be disregarded.
If interested, please submit a short letter of motivation and your CV, including names and contact details of 2 references.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We have adopted an active policy to increase the number of female scientists across all disciplines of the university. Therefore, women are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://nvp-plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Additional informationDr Marcos H. D. Guimaraes
Additional information on the research group and the University of Groningen
Zernike Institute website
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature