Assistant professor in Machine Learning ( Tenure Track )
We are excited to welcome a Machine Learning expert to the department, who will strengthen ongoing research and teaching at Maastricht University as assistant professor. In addition, our new colleague has the opportunity to contribute to industrial research via a joint appointment at a company.
The Department of Data Science and Knowledge Engineering is growing rapidly. This position is one of multiple job openings: you are more than welcome to browse through our other vacancies.
- Bouillonstraat, Maastricht, Limburg
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
We are the Department of Data Science and Knowledge Engineering (DKE) at Maastricht University, the Netherlands: an international community of ~50 researchers at various stages of their career, embedded in the Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE). Our department has nearly 30 years’ experience with research and teaching in the fields of Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science and Applied Mathematics. To strengthen our team, we are looking for an assistant professor who will work on Machine Learning.
Assistant professor in Machine Learning
The focus of this tenure track position is to develop new machine-learning techniques such as in prediction & classification, reinforcement learning, evolutionary computation, deep learning, and transfer learning. Applications are investigated for the field of medicine, in language processing, large-scale classification problems (content, sentiment, and intention), conversational agents, question answering, and topic modeling.
In addition to your research, you will contribute to top-rated education in our department. We offer one bachelor’s programme and two master’s programmes, all of which are nationally ranked #1 in their category and involve a mix of Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science and Applied Mathematics.
This position builds on, and benefits from, foundational expertise at DKE . Our research centers around nine established themes, which includes the theme Machine Learning. Researchers typically work on multiple themes at the same time to ensure knowledge transfer across (sub)disciplines. Outside of the department, we offer an extensive, worldwide network of collaborators in the public and private sector, as well as a firm rooting in national and international AI networks. Facilities include access to a supercomputer cluster.
This position is offered with the opportunity for a joint-appointment with industry. The joint appointment program creates an extra opportunity for the candidate to work for part of their time directly for a company. If accepted by the candidate and the company, this will create multiple benefits for all parties. It allows the candidate to have greater impact for their research output via the company, which can bring research results to real-life. The candidate can experience industrial research and be adequately compensated. Moreover, the candidate is in a unique position to help build a close collaboration between the university and the company, fostering a collaborative environment and creating opportunities for joint PhD research programs.
We seek a colleague who is passionate about research and teaching. She/he feels at home in a strongly international and diverse community like ours. Furthermore, we are looking to welcome someone who fosters collaboration at all levels, especially in the context of a joint academia-industry appointment.
Our ideal candidate has:
- A PhD degree in Machine Learning or a strongly related field;
- At least 2 years working experience in an academic environment post-PhD;
- A proven track record in research and teaching;
- Experience with funding acquisition at national and European level;
- Fluent mastery of the English language.
We offer a full-time, tenure-track position starting as soon as possible. You will initially be employed on a temporary contract as an assistant professor (level 2). Together, we will set up a development plan with specific goals to meet. Five years into your appointment, we will evaluate those goals and promote you to assistant professor (level 1) on a permanent contract if the goals have been met. The evaluation can be brought forward if the goals are met earlier, or deferred at your request in case of personal circumstances such as pregnancy leave, parental leave or chronic illness.
We offer a competitive salary for a full-time position of 38 hours a week. On top of your annual salary, there is an annual holiday allowance (8% of annual income) and an annual end-of-year bonus (8.3% of annual income).
The position comes with a number of additional benefits, including:
- Partially paid parental leave;
- A pension scheme;
- The option to participate in collective healthcare insurance;
- A one-time reimbursement of your relocation costs if you are moving to Maastricht from more than 40 kilometers away;
- Assistance with practical matters such as housing for candidates unfamiliar with the Netherlands, through Maastricht University’s Knowledge Centre for International Staff;
- A welcoming and open work environment with a high degree of flexibility, and plenty of opportunities for collaboration and growth;
- Mentoring to develop yourself as a teacher and obtain a University Teaching Qualification (BKO, for ‘basiskwalificatie onderwijs’: an official certification for teaching at Dutch universities) through a training programme, in case you are not yet certified.
Full conditions of employment are laid out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities, supplemented with local UM provisions. Furthermore, applicants from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for the so-called 30% ruling, a tax cut for highly skilled migrants that applies for a maximum of five years.