1 dag geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Postdoc in the field of Systems Biology/Toxicology (1.0 FTE)
The post-doc that we are looking for will be working in a highly interdisciplinary environment, while developing novel research strategies that allow us to …
- Robert Schumandomein, Maastricht, Limburg
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 40 uur
- € 2588 - € 4084 per maand
The post-doc that we are looking for will be working in a highly interdisciplinary environment, while developing novel research strategies that allow us to describe cellular and molecular changes that occur during the development of human disease. Your position will be in both the Maastricht Centre for Systems Biology (MaCSBio) and the department of Toxicogenomics to facilitate the development of a research line in Systems Toxicology.
In the context of the project “Complex Systems Framework for Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)” you will generate a new set of data using a topographically enhanced cell culturing system. In this system, human primary hepatocytes can be cultured over longer periods of time, allowing the gradual development of an increasingly severe disease phenotype over time induced after repeated low dose chemical exposures. For continuous phenotyping of the conformational changes, high-content image-based Cell Painting methodologies will be used for morphological profiling of cellular components and organelles. Gene expression analysis using RNA-sequencing will be performed to obtain insight in the molecular processes accompanying disease state transitions in the system. Based on the detailed description of the processes involved in transitions during disease progression, you will construct a mathematical model that integrates both cellular and molecular features and that can be applied for the identification of molecular targets for disease treatment and prevention. The novel research strategy is not context dependent and may be used in the context of different disease types and organs or in other applications such as compound toxicity testing, and cancer drug combination efficiency.
The postdoc is expected to acquire externally funded research projects, lead and participate in multidisciplinary research teams, and contribute to various educational programmes including the 2-year master programme in Systems Biology.
More specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Supervision of the PhD candidate appointed on this project
- Coordination of the labwork that generates the required phenotypic and molecular data
- Development of a Complex Systems Framework that is able to integrate physiological features and molecular processes simultaneously
- Generate project proposals that can demonstrate the general applicability of the created framework
We are looking for an experienced postdoc, with a strong track-record in systems biology, having a clear background in biology or biomedical sciences, with the ability to work across different disciplines. Experience with the analysis of large datasets and multi-omics data is essential. The candidate preferably has a proven ability to attract research funding.
Furthermore, the Postdoc:
- holds a PhD degree in Computational Biology, Systems Biology, Applied Mathematics or another related field of study
- is experienced with RNA sequencing techniques and gene expression data analyses
- has a good understanding of mathematical modelling, bioinformatics and statistics
- works in a highly independent and self-motivated manner
- has programming experience in MATLAB, R, Python or similar programming languages
- has excellent communication skills and speaks English fluently.
The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local UM provisions also apply. For more information look at the website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl .
In the context of a stimulating scientific environment with excellent facilities for professional and personal development, we offer you a temporary employment for the period of 2 years followed by an extension of minimally 2 years after a positive evaluation. Your monthly salary will be € 2.588,- to 4.084,- gross per month (salary scale level 10) depending on your qualifications. In case of successful grant applications the research line may be continued and expanded and potentially turn into a permanent position.
For further information you can contact Prof. Dr. Theo de Kok (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
If interested, please use the 'apply now'-button on this page. You should upload:
- a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research projects)
- contact information of two references
- copies of diplomas with course grades.