3 dagen geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD position: Transition Pathways Technology-for-Ecology-based Farming
We are looking fora (4 year) PhD candidate to study expectations and imaginaries and explore possible transition pathways related to the new concept of …
ongeveer 2 maanden geleden
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
FunctieomschrijvingWe are looking for
a (4 year) PhD candidate to study expectations and imaginaries and explore possible transition pathways related to the new concept of 'Technology-4-Ecology-based Farming' (T4E). The PhD project is part of the Synergia project that aims to develop ecological forms of arable, dairy and horticulture farming and new types of technological and socio-technical systems that challenge current forms of agriculture https://technology4ecology.org/. The successful candidate will investigate the implicit and explicit concepts and visions of these new forms of farming and identify challenges and tensions. These insights will feed into exploration of socio-technical scenarios and transition pathways, which will be conducted together with stakeholders and partners in the project. This will serve as a basis to deduce requirements and options for responsibly governing transformative change. The PhD will become a member of the Science, Technology & Policy Studies (STePS) group, and will be supervised by dr. Kornelia Konrad and prof.dr. Esther Turnhout.
The Synergia project is a crossover program funded by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). Synergia goes beyond current precision agriculture and precision livestock farming and is developing the new concept of 'Technology-4-Ecology-based farming'. Our multi-disciplinary team with biology, ecology, agronomy, technology and social science backgrounds, will explore how current and future farming technologies can enable and support truly ecology-based farming systems https://technology4ecology.org.
In this interdisciplinary program you will work together with other PhD candidates, both from social sciences and with candidates working on developing technologies and applications in line with the T4E approach. In this way we aim to ensure the findings in this work are providing insight into the societal value of actual technologies on the one hand and allowing societal perspectives to influence technology development on the other.
- You have a master degree in science, technology and innovation studies, policy studies or a closely related field;
- experience with qualitative research methods such as interviewing and discourse analytical methods;
- interest in innovations and their societal implications;
- Knowledge in the agricultural sector and technologies is a pre;
- You are an excellent team-player and are excited about working with scientists and practitioners from different backgrounds;
- highly motivated to contribute to academic and societal challenges
- proficient in English, preferably also in Dutch.
ConditionsWe offer a 4-year, full time research position with a qualifier in the first year on a highly relevant topic, in a dynamic and international environment. The University of Twente (UT) offers excellent working conditions, an exciting scientific environment, and a green and lively campus with lots of sports facilities and an international scientific community!
- Salary ranging from € 2.325- gross at the start to € 2.972,- gross in the 4th year.
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, a bonus of 8.3%.
- You will receive good secondary conditions, in accordance with the collective labour agreement CAO-NU for Dutch universities.
- We will make a training program with a plan for additional suitable education and personal development training.
- As a PhD candidate you will be enrolled in the Twente Graduate School and in the Dutch PhD programme on Science, Technology and Modern Culture (WTMC).
- We provide an opportunity to work and interact with scientists from different academic backgrounds on a highly relevant project that is on the boundary between academic fields.
Additional informationPlease apply by clicking on the `Apply now' button below before November 2, 2021. The application should include :
- A motivation letter emphasizing motivation and qualifications,
- A detailed CV, summarizing your education, previous work experience and contact details of at least 2 referees,
- A list of all courses attended and grades acquired during your MSc and BSc courses.