3 dagen geleden - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) - Groningen
Post-doctoral researcher in Professional identity development and career choices of STEM students and young professionals
While the popularity of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) study programs increased over the past 10 years, dropout rates among STEM …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 24 - 24 uur
- € 2588 - € 4757 per maand
While the popularity of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) study programs increased over the past 10 years, dropout rates among STEM students are high during college years, and during the transition to the labour market: less than half of all highly-educated STEM graduates opts for a career in the technical sector. In our previous project ‘Mind the gap’, we discovered that STEM students’ professional identity formation forms an important parameter to explain career choices. Especially non-prototypical STEM students (e.g., females, generalists) identify less with their future profession, have less confidence in a career in the technical sector, and thus have a lower tendency to choose for a career in STEM. The follow-up project ‘Bridge the gap’ (https://www.techyourfuture.nl/a-955/bridge-the-gap), focusses on how professional identity of STEM students and professionals changes over time in interaction with the (technical) study or work context. In addition, tools and interventions will be developed, tested and implemented to strengthen STEM students’ and professionals’ professional identity formation and guide them in making conscious career choices. This post-doc project forms an excellent opportunity to conduct scientific research that is directly relevant and applicable to field practitioners.
As a post-doctoral researcher in this project, your job is to
- Design and conduct longitudinal field studies and intervention studies
- Implement evidence-based tools on professional identity development in educational and corporate STEM contexts
- Coordinate data collection across study samples and phases and manage communication with participants
- Work in close collaboration with researchers in the project team (including a PhD-student; click here for PhD vacancy), as well as stakeholders and practitioners in the technical (educational and corporate) field.
- Present findings for a scientific and a non-scientific audience
- Report findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals and research reports
The division of tasks between the PhD-position and post-doc position will be done based on expertise and interests of the candidates. The 3,5-year research project is a collaboration between University of Twente, Utrecht University and Saxion University of Applied Sciences. In addition, a consortium of five higher education institutes, 18 technical companies, and three expertise centres is participating in the project. The project is funded by TechYourFuture, 4TU Centre of Engineering Education, and TechniekPact Twente.
You hold a PhD degree in (Social, Organizational, Business) Psychology, Educational Science, or a related field. In addition, you:
- have expertise or demonstrable interest in professional learning and development;
- have an interest in the challenges related to STEM students’ school-work transitions; also from a gender and diversity perspective;
- have experience with field research, and preferably with longitudinal field and/or intervention studies;
- have strong methodological and statistical knowledge and a willingness to learn additional statistical skills;
- have good social and communication skills in academic as well as non-academic contexts;
- are fluent in English and Dutch (minimum C1-level) and have excellent writing skills. This has resulted in a good publication record and/or a promising publication pipeline;
- are willing and have proven ability to work independently, but also to collaborate with the team and stakeholders.
Your application should include the following documents:
- a cover letter (in English or Dutch) which explains your interest in the position and your qualifications for it;
- a curriculum vitae which also includes the name and e-mail address/telephone number for (preferably) two or more references;
- a copy of your PhD-thesis or, if it is not yet available, an outline and summary of your thesis and one of your scientific papers.
Applications should be uploaded via the application link below. Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed.
The application deadline is May 30th, 2018. Interviews will be held in June.
For additional information about this position you can contact dr. Ruth van Veelen (email@example.com) or dr. Maaike Endedijk (only after appointment via Sandra Schele, firstname.lastname@example.org / 053-4892022).
More information about the department of Educational Science can be found on the following website: https://www.utwente.nl/en/bms/owk/
A 3-year part-time postdoc position (0,6 fte), starting September 1st (preferred). There are options to extend the contract with teaching tasks to a full-time position. The gross salary is in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU) € 2.588,- to € 4.757,- per month for a fulltime position, depending on experience. On top of this, you receive a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
We offer excellent auxiliary terms of employment, such as professional and personal development programs; a secondary remuneration package; a dynamic environment with enthusiastic colleagues; and an organization focusing on internationalization and a high degree of responsibility and independence.