1 dag geleden - Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen (RUN) - Nijmegen
Postdoc position on Acoustic Metamaterials
Metamaterials exhibit functional properties that originate from their 3D architecture rather than their chemistry. In this project, we aim to explore the …
- Drienerlolaan, Enschede, Overijssel
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3255 - € 4274 per maand
Metamaterials exhibit functional properties that originate from their 3D architecture rather than their chemistry. In this project, we aim to explore the design and fabrication of acoustic metamaterials with exceptional sound-absorbing properties originated from a microstructure consisting of controlled building blocks. With a recently-developed technology for 3-dimensional printing of foams (not yet published), the pore size, interconnectivity, and the outer 3D-shape can be locally and independently controlled. Without any optimization and despite the random alignment of the unit cells, these foams already exhibit strong acoustic absorption properties at a highly relevant spectrum of ~400 Hz to 6 kHz. In view of our preliminary results, the goals of this project are:
- Design of 3D-printed shape of the foams, to realize metamaterials with exceptional absorbance or focusing properties. A rational design strategy will be required.
- Experiment with polymerizable materials to achieve a broader absorption spectrum (including very low frequencies) or a target sequence of frequency gaps. We will provide the setup and a basic set of materials as a start, which will be further optimized towards excellent acoustic properties. For example, the feasibility of acoustic lenses, wave guides, and mirrors will be assessed.
Goal: Tunable soft acoustic metamaterials design and fabrication.
How: By combining your skills in acoustics with our technologies for 3D printing of modular materials including foams.
Why: The route of soft processing techniques opens up many ways of designing and fabricating new materials. Foams are extremely promising, as their hierarchical structure can be exploited to reach exceptional acoustic performances in very wide wavelength spectrum while keeping small size and high scalability.
Where: You will work in the Fluid Mechanics for Functional Materials group in collaboration with the Multi Scale Mechanics group, both at Faculty of Engineering Technology at the University of Twente. The position is part of an interdisciplinary team of young faculty that closely collaborates on design and scalable fabrication of Soft Metamaterials.
- You have obtained a PhD degree in (Applied) Physics, Materials Science, (Mechanical) Engineering, Metamaterials or related subjects. Knowledge of wave-matter interactions or metamaterials is a prerequisite.
- You are motivated to design and develop new materials with functional acoustic properties.
- You have acquired some experience in microfluidics or inkjet printing, or would be interested in learning such skills at the University of Twente, a leading institution in this field.
- You have written in-depth or high-profile scientific papers and a strong ability to orally present results.
- You love working in a team in which fundamental and applied research cross-fertilize.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Your application should consist of:
- A cover letter (maximum 1 page A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications and motivations to apply for this position;
- A full Curriculum Vitae including your publications, grants, awards, and working experience. The CV should reflects the scope of your work and your academic performance. If you have relevant pre-publications, we invite you to list these as well;
- Contact details of at least two references who worked closely with you.
Applications should be submitted before 15th March 2019 through the link below
- The position is for at least 1 year. The starting date is as soon as possible.
- The gross monthly salary will range from € 3.255,- to € 4.274,- and will depend on experience and qualifications. In addition, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, an annual year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- A solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 leave days in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs.