PhD candidate / promovendus (1 fte)
Overthrowing platonism? First we need to know what platonism is. Conduct your own research on this phenomenon!
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
The PhD position (4 years) is independent of any overarching research project and is funded by the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies at Utrecht University. Proposals are invited that deal with the phenomenon of Platonism. The French philosopher Gilles Deleuze has argued that the task of contemporary philosophy is to ‘overthrow Platonism’ (renverser le platonisme). This may be true, provided that we know what ‘Platonism’ is. We therefore welcome proposals that contribute to a better understanding of this rich and complex phenomenon, preferably in Antiquity. The proposals can concentrate both on the ancient developments of Platonism, from Plato onwards (Plato, the Old and Hellenistic Academy, Middle Platonism and Neoplatonism), or on the construction of Platonism as a polemical target (Aristotle, Hellenistic philosophies for instance). Projects concerned with the modern reception of Plato will be also considered.
- an MA or equivalent degree in Philosophy or classics, or a cognate discipline, or an MA thesis in one of these fields already accepted by the MA committee;
- sufficient knowledge of at least one classic language to work with ancient sources (preferably Greek);
- proficiency in academic English as well as the ability to work with secondary literature in modern European languages;
- ability to work independently and in a team, with good organizational and communication skills.
This is a temporary position of 1.0 FTE for the duration of 18 months. In case of good performance and a positive evaluation, the contract will be extended for the remaining period of 30 months (4 years in total). The gross salary starts with €2,395 per month in the first year and increases to €3,061 per month in the fourth year of employment (scale P according to the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities) for a full-time employment.
Besides that, you will receive a holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. Utrecht University also has an appealing package of terms of employment, including the choice for a good balance between work and private (a good arrangement for leave, among other things), possibilities for development and an excellent pension scheme. More information on working at Utrecht University can be found here.
Additional informationFor further information about the vacancy, please contact Prof Mauro Bonazzi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also refer to the websites of the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies and of Utrecht University for general information.