PhD position for EU H2020 project ‘HumMingBird: Enhanced migration measures from a multidimensional perspective’ (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)
Utrecht University's Faculty of Science is looking for a PhD candidate for the EU H2020 project ‘HumMingBird: Enhanced migration measures from a multidimensional perspective’. Are you interested? Then please read the full profile and apply.
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 30 - 40 uur
- € 2325 - € 2972 per maand
The Social and Affective Computing group at the Utrecht University Department of Information and Computing Sciences is looking for a PhD candidate to conduct research on using mobile CDR data to study migration dynamics into Europe.
The project’s overall aim is to improve understandings of changing nature of migration flows and the drivers of migration, to analyse patterns and motivations and new geographies and to calculate population estimates and determine emerging trends and future trends and accordingly identify possible future implications of today’s policy decisions. Moreover, we aim to develop migration scenarios in a more forward-looking manner that takes into account both quantitative and qualitative perspectives of different migration actors. The candidate will specifically work with mobile CDR data, and collaborate with Turkcell, a major telecommunications operator in Turkey, which is providing data for the project.
The HumMingBird project runs from 12/2019 - 12/2023, so ideally the candidate starts as soon as possible. Knowledge of computational social science, mobile CDR data, urban computing, computational demographics, statistics, migration theories, spatio-temporal data analysis approaches are highly valued.
We are looking for candidates with:
• a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computational Social Science, Computational Demographics, Data Science, and/or fields related to the project focus;
• interest or experience with migration and refugee studies;
• affinity with programming platforms for statistical computations, such as R, MATLAB, or Python;
• experience with gathering and analysing large datasets;
• willingness to work on an interdisciplinary project that combines many qualitative and quantitative information sources;
• very good English oral and writing skills. You should be able to demonstrate English language proficiency. We require a qualification English at C1 level (comparable to level 3 of the Lecturer Assessment Grid) or you should be willing to obtain this level by training.
ConditionsThis is an appointment of 0.8 (five years) or 1.0 (four years) FTE. The gross salary starts with €2,325 per month in the first year and increases to €2,972 per month in the third year of employment (scale P according to the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities) for a full-time employment.
Besides that, you will receive a holiday allowance of 8 % and a year-end bonus of 8.3 %. Utrecht University also has an appealing package of terms of employment, including the choice for a good balance between work and private (a good arrangement for leave, among other things), possibilities for development and an excellent pension scheme. More information on working at Utrecht University can be found here.
Additional informationFor more information about this position, please contact Prof. Albert Ali Salah via email@example.com.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature