Ongeveer 19 uur geleden - Radboudumc - Nijmegen
PhD position in the project ‘Mind your Manner Adverbials’ (1.0 FTE)
The Faculty of Humanities is looking for a PhD candidate in the project ‘Mind your Manner Adverbials’ (1.0 FTE). Are you interested? Apply!
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
You will be participating in the project ‘Mind your Manner Adverbials!’ Apart from Prof. Norbert Corver, the project team will consist of two PhD candidates, one of which is advertised here.
The project aims to contribute to our understanding of the grammar of manner adverbials —both clausal and non-clausal - by addressing three central questions:
- What is their inner (morpho-)syntactic organization?
- What is their distributional behaviour (word order)?
- And how do inner organisation and distributional behaviour interact?
The empirical component of the project will consist of cross-linguistic data collection, comparative-linguistic data analysis, as well as database development and data storage. The theoretical component will involve contributing to a comprehensive (morpho)syntactic theory of manner adverbials in a range of languages (including dialects) by for instance analysing specific behaviour of adverbials across several languages, and contrasting manner adverbials and other expressions in these languages.
The project is funded by the NWO Open Competition programme and will be carried out at the Utrecht Institute of Linguistics OTS at Utrecht University in the Netherlands.
Activities for the PhD candidate will include:
- completion and defence of a PhD thesis within four years;
- regular presentation of intermediate research results at workshops and conferences;
- publication of at least two peer-reviewed articles in established international journals;
- co-organization of project workshops and conferences;
- participation in the training programmes and expert meetings scheduled for the project group;
- participation in selected training programmes, scheduled for the Research Institute, Graduate School and the National Research School;
- A (soon to be completed) (research-oriented) Master’s degree in linguistics with a focus on syntax, comparative linguistics, historical linguistics or a related discipline;
- Excellent English oral proficiency, academic writing and presentation skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work both as an independent Researcher and as a team member;
- Good organizational, social and communication skills.
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for a period of 18 months. Upon a good performance and positive evaluation, the contract will be extended for the remaining period of 30 months (4 years in total). The gross monthly salary ranges between €2,395 in the first year and €3,061 (scale P according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) in the fourth year of employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
An elaborate project description can be found here.