15 PhD Positions in EU Horizon 2020 MSCA-ITN project MoSaiQC: Modular Systems for advanced integrated Quantum Clocks
Ongeveer 11 uur geleden - Universiteit van Amsterdam (UvA) - Amsterdam
UU and NESSC are looking for a PhD candidate. Interested? Read more and apply here.
The Netherlands Earth System Science Centre (NESSC) is currently looking to fill 13 PhD positions with excellent, talented, enthusiastic, highly motivated and goal-oriented candidates, with a no-nonsense mentality. The ideal candidates are interested in past and/or current climate research, are highly motivated to perform research in an excellent, exciting and international working environment, and are committed to a fully-funded 4-year PhD track.
The project “Physics of the Mid-Pleistocene transition in a coupled climate, ice sheet carbon cycle model” will be hosted at IMAU, Utrecht University (UU). During the Mid-Pleistocene the dynamics of the climate system changed from ice age cycles with a duration of 40 kyr towards cycles of 100 kyr which have a much larger amplitude as well. This has been recorded in ocean sediments and partly in ice cores. The transition took place without a direct change in the external radiative forcing which follows from the changes in Earth orbit. Hence, a combination of processes and feedbacks must have caused the transition. In this project we want to unravel the contribution of possibly mechanisms related to the role of the major ice sheets in the climate system or gradual changes in the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere. In order to do so we will use a hierarchy of climate models and perform transient simulations over the Mid-Pleistocene, where models will range from intermediate complexity models to full Earth system models. The project will improve our insights in climate sensitivity on long time scales.
General requirements for applicants
• Candidates did not reside or carry out their main activity (e.g. work, studies) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months during the 3 years immediately prior to the date of appointment (time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention, compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account)*.
• Candidates hold an MSc degree (or will graduate before the appointment date) in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Ecology, Earth Sciences and/or Environmental Sciences.
• Candidates are in the first four years of their research careers at the start of their appointment (full-time equivalent research experience, measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree entitling him or her to embark on a doctorate) and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
• Excellent proficiency of the English language (both oral and written).
• The ability to work both independently in challenging environments and in a multidisciplinary team. Excellent communication skills and cooperation skills are required.
• An inquisitive mind-set, accuracy, creativity and self-reliance are very important. You are required to be flexible, mobile and pro-active.
• Enthusiasm to attend the full training programme as offered in the project and to actively contribute to the project aims and objectives.
• High interest in receiving training from supervisors from different institutes, disciplines and sectors, this will require regular travelling within the Netherlands.
• High motivation to contribute to the dissemination of results and outreach to both specialists and the public at large.
• Candidates are excited to move to the Netherlands and to visit a Partner Organisations for a secondment (internship), in or outside the Netherlands, as this is part of the programme. Additional research visits to international institutes and conferences for research collaborations are expected.
• Strong motivation to obtain a PhD degree.
The selected candidates will be offered a full-time PhD position at IMAU at Utrecht University, initially for one year. Depending on a satisfactory performance this may be extended to a maximum period of four years, with the intend to obtain a doctorate within this period. This evaluation usually takes place in the ninth month of employment.
The gross monthly salary starts at €2,325 in the first year, and ends at €2,972 in the fourth year (scale P Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities). The salary is supplemented by a guaranteed end-of-year bonus of 8.3% and a holiday allowance of 8% of your yearly salary. We offer a pension scheme (partly paid by employer), collective insurance schemes, parental leave, travel allowance (home to work and for work purposes), and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). Facilities for sports and child care are available.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature