Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Postdoctoral researcher in European History
The Amsterdam School for Regional and Transnational and European Studies (ARTES), one of the six research schools of the Faculty of Humanities, offers a …
- Kloveniersburgwal, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3389 - € 4138 per maand
The Amsterdam School for Regional and Transnational and European Studies (ARTES), one of the six research schools of the Faculty of Humanities, offers a two year postdoc position as part of the HERA funded interdisciplinary research project SPAS: 'The European Spa as a Transnational Public Space and Social Metaphor', led by Dr Christian Noack.
The project sets out to rethink the spa as a core concept and object of European debate. It investigates how the European spa, with its characteristic institutions such as the Kurpark, sanatorium, grand hotel and casino, developed into a transnational public space and functioned as a stage for the negotiation of political, social and cultural issues of European relevance. The project revaluates the development of spa culture, frequently framed in local or national histories, as a pan-European phenomenon in its own rights. It examines the fate of European spas and European spa culture over the course of the 20th century, under the influence of technical innovations, pervading nationalisms and radical new political and societal ideologies on the left and right. Finally, the project analyses the recent use of this European past (or the lack thereof) for the revalorization of the spa as heritage. For more details see the project website.
The researcher is expected to research the history of spas, seaside and climatic resorts in countries like Romania, Italy, Spain or Portugal. Tasks of the postdoctoral researcher will include:
- regular presentations of intermediate research results at workshops and conferences;
- publication of at least one peer-reviewed article;
- administrative support of the project management in co-organisation of project meetings e.g. and workshops;
- willingness and ability to support the research team in its digital and social media activities.
The successful applicant must have:
- a PhD in in a relevant field (such as History, European Studies, Heritage Studies);
- expertise in Southern Europe with good working knowledge in at least two or more Roman languages;
- proficiency in English;
- outstanding research qualities and keen interest in interdisciplinary research methods and approaches;
- good academic writing and presentation skills;
- good social and organizational skills and ability and willingness to work in a team;
- willingness to travel abroad for research stays, conferences and project expert workshops.
The postdoctoral researcher will be appointed full-time (38 hours per week) for a period of 24 months at the Department of History, European Studies & Religious Studies of the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Amsterdam. The research will be carried out under the aegis of ARTES. Initially a contract will be given for 9 months, with an extension for the following 15 months on the basis of a positive evaluation. The intended starting date of the contract is 1 February 2020. The gross monthly salary (on full-time basis) will range from €3,389 to €4,138 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities.
For further information, please contact:
You may apply at the top right.