Assistant Professor in Media Studies (Tenure track position)
Do you have a background in digital media studies? Do you enjoy teaching and are you interested in academic research related to (digital) media and arts? Would you like to work with an enthusiastic, multidisciplinary team of media and arts scholars? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 32 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
For our vacancy, starting 1 September 2020, we are particularly looking for a candidate with a profile in digital media studies. The candidate will develop courses and high-quality research on the role of digital media in a cultural context. The candidate should also be open to teaching comparative media courses in our interdisciplinary bachelor Media, Art, Design, and Architecture and in the master Comparative Arts and Media Studies. The candidate is also expected to apply for external research funding and perform tasks connected with the organisation of the educational program.
The successful candidate:
- holds a PhD in Media Studies, or related discipline
- has experience in digital media, including media history and theory
- has published in international peer-reviewed journals or at a university press
- has an affinity with interdisciplinarity and has the capacity to work in a team
- has excellent teaching skills and is an engaged and inspiring lecturer, as proven by student-evaluations
- has potential to obtain or experience with obtaining research grants
- has a basic qualification in teaching for Dutch universities ('BKO') or is willing to achieve this qualification in the near future.
- has a good command of both the Dutch and the English language (or is willing to learn Dutch)
ConditionsA tenure track position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11) and a maximum €4,978 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 0.8 FTE.
The initial employment contract will preferably start on 1 September 2020 and affect a period of 5 years, with the possibility of a permanent contract.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalised benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter with your motivation, a list of your publications, and three referees until 1 april 2020. Two rounds of job interviews are planned for April-May 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: dr. I.L. (Ivo) Blom
Position: programme director Comparative Arts & Media Studies
Telephone: +31 20 598 6489
Name: prof. dr. G.E.E. (Ginette) Verstraete
Position: chair Comparative Arts & Media Studies