Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Social Artificial Intelligence
Are you an excellent and ambitious AI researcher and is your aim to research new AI techniques for social interaction or AI systems that are able to support people? Then Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam would like to get to know you. Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Vast contract
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 3637 - € 4978 per maand
You have a proven track record in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and would like to advance AI to improve the way humans and machines understand and interact with each other. You initiate, perform and supervise high-quality social AI research that aims to design AI systems that are social in nature and are able to take human factors into account. You are able to integrate insights from theory and practice and have an engineering approach to problem solving. Your aim is to develop social AI techniques and to engineer and evaluate social AI applications integrating these and existing techniques in the real world with real users.
This position is offered with the opportunity for a joint-appointment with industry. The joint appointment program creates an extra opportunity for the candidate to work for part of their time (typically one day per week) directly for a company. If accepted by the candidate and the company, this will create multiple benefits for all parties. It allows the candidate to have greater impact for their research output via the company, which can bring research results to real-life. The candidate can experience industrial research and be adequately compensated. Moreover, the candidate is in a unique position to help build a close collaboration between the university and the company, fostering a collaborative environment and creating opportunities for joint PhD research programs.
Because we want to increase the number of women in our department female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply for this position. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to female candidates.
The tenure track position is starting at the level of assistant professor in the areas of research, education and management (40%:40%:20%), and contains among others the following duties:
- You acquire and contribute to externally funded research projects of the group;
- You teach courses in the BSc and MSc AI curriculum and supervise students;
- You assist in the supervision of Ph.D students and contribute to the management of the group.
- You have a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or Artificial Intelligence;
- You have research experience with at least two of the following topics:
- affective computing
- social robotics or other social interfaces
- social signal processing
- user-centered design and user studies
- You have experience with an engineering approach to problem solving;
- You published in international journals and conference proceedings of high quality;
- You have strong communication and cooperation skills and ability to work in a team;
- You have educational skills and willingness to contribute to BSc and/or MSc AI programs;
- You have experience or readiness to supervise Ph.D. projects;
- You have experience or good prospects for acquiring external research funding;
- You have excellent command of the English language.
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organisation. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3.637.- and a maximum of
€ 4.978,- in accordance with salary scale 11, depending on your education and experience. The job profile (UD2) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of UD1 in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after starting date.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- A maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment;
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- Solid pension scheme (ABP);
- Contribution to commuting expenses;
- Optional model for designing a personalised benefits package;
- Good child day-care facilities available on campus;
- Good paid parental leave arrangement.
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae, research and teaching statement and a cover letter motivating your application until 20 October 2019.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Koen Hindriks
Telephone: +31 20 59 87763
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037