2 dagen geleden - Universiteit Utrecht (UU) - Utrecht
Full/Associate Professor in Statistics
The Department of Mathematics of the Faculty of Science, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, invites applications for a Full or Associate Professorship in Statistics.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 5059 - € 7766 per maand
We seek a new colleague who is passionate about mathematical research, in particular in statistics, and education. The department is looking for outstanding candidates with a proven expertise in statistics.
The position is a full professor position, but there is the possibility for excellent, younger candidates to be appointed as associate professor and after a track of 5 years and a positive evaluation be promoted to full professor. The starting date is as soon as possible.
Women are especially encouraged to apply. The diversity policy of the university can be found at https://vu.nl/en/about-vu-amsterdam/mission-and-profile/diversity.
The candidate will be expected to
• perform excellent research in the area of mathematical statistics and to play a leading role in the new developments in the field;
• contribute to the general educational programs of the department, at both the undergraduate and graduate level, and take leadership in ensuring that the many statistical educational activities are consistent, up-to-date, and conform to the highest academic standards;
• show academic leadership nationally and internationally;
• participate in everyday departmental activities and administrative tasks, including writing grant proposals.
The successful candidate
• has a PhD in mathematics or statistics and has academic publications in leading journals;
• has an outstanding track record of achievements in the field of mathematical statistics;
• has experience in leading a research group, has shown capabilities in stimulating junior researchers, providing adequate supervision of PhD students, and acquiring research grants;
• is a stimulating and good lecturer and has experience in supervising students;
• has experience in developing curricula and teaching material, has a broad vision on new developments in the field, and is able to implement these developments into the teaching program;
• plays an active role in the international academic community and has a strong international network in the field;
• has good communication skills;
• is willing to acquire a basic knowledge of the Dutch language within two years;
• is willing to acquire a basic qualification in teaching (‘BKO’) as demanded by Dutch universities.
The VU offers a broad and attractive package of employment conditions. The employment contract is governed by the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO) for Dutch universities. In addition to their salaries, staff members receive annual holiday pay and a year-end bonus. Staff members with a full-time contract (38 hours per week) are entitled to 29 days off. The VU also offers a good pension scheme via ABP. Further information about our employment conditions can be found on https://www.vu.nl/en/employment.
We offer a competitive salary package in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience, range from a minimum of € 5334,00 gross per month up to a maximum of € 7766,00 gross per month (salary scale H2) based on a fulltime employment as full professor, or from a minimum of € 5059,00 gross per month up to a maximum of € 6438,00 gross per month (salary scale 14) based on a fulltime employment as associate professor.
For additional information please contact: Prof.dr. Mathisca de Gunst.
Faculty of Science
Research at the Faculty of Science focuses on the areas of Life & Health, Networked World, Fundamentals of Science, and Energy & Sustainability. The faculty’s teaching activities are directly linked to this excellent research. Cooperation with other faculties on the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam campus generates attractive, high-quality bachelor and master programs. At international level, the faculty cooperates closely with leading scientific institutes and other partners.
Department of Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics strives after excellence in research. In the department purely mathematical research is balanced with mathematical research motivated by applications. Researchers at the department are on the one hand active on a fundamental and theoretical level, and on the other hand work in an applied and practical environment with links to many sciences and societal issues. The department has a strong international research staff with expertise in dynamical systems, geometry, algebra and topology, and stochastics (statistics, data analytics, probability). In stochastics the applications range from neuroscience, genetics and forensics to business optimization and finance.
The department offers bachelor and master programs in mathematics and in business analytics, as well as a master program in stochastics and financial mathematics. In addition, the department provides mathematics courses for other programs of the Faculty of Science, for programs of other faculties in the university, and for the Amsterdam University College.