3 dagen geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Junior Teacher in Sustainability
Did you recently graduate and do you like to engage in teaching the topic of sustainability in a dynamic academic environment? Please apply at the Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM), Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2836 - € 4474 per maand
More and more students are deciding to engage in a bachelor or a master programme in which sustainability is the leading topic. We, at the Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM) of the Faculty of Science, are hosting a number of such programmes, including the bachelor programme Aarde, Economie & Duurzaamheid (AE&D), the master programmes Environment and Resource Management (ERM) and Hydrology, and the research master track Global Environmental Change & Policy (GEC&P).
IVM invites applicants for a position of Junior Lecturer (Junior Docent) in sustainability-related teaching programmes. We are looking for a candidate with a clear affinity for sustainability-related areas: land use, ecosystems, earth science, biodiversity and/or climate change. We seek a candidate with clear ambitions in academic teaching, demonstrating the ability to promote our students’ intellectual and personal development, and prepare them to succeed, lead and serve a more sustainable society. Teaching is mainly in English and Dutch, at bachelor and master levels, primarily in the areas of sustainability science and methodology (GIS, fieldwork, systems analysis), including seminars, fieldwork supervision, workshops and thematic courses.
- support assistant, associate and full professors in their courses
- (occasionally) provide lectures and lead practicals (computer practicals, and group assignments)
- Supervise field work activities and excursions (in our Earth Science, Economics and Sustainability programme)
- assist in the development of high-quality teaching materials both off and online
- initiate efforts towards increasing the efficiency of courses and propose innovative ways of teaching and examination effective with larger groups of students
- acquire a basic qualification in teaching (BKO) as demanded by Dutch universities (if not already acquired)
- engage in the professionalisation track of junior teachers at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, participating in peer-to-peer exchanges with other junior teachers
- mentoring students (including bachelor and masters students)
- completed master or PhD degree in a sustainability related programme
- affinity with teaching and interaction with students, experience in teaching is a pre
- strong communicative skills in English, and preferably in Dutch
- experience in using GIS and spreadsheets (as both are frequently used in our teaching)
- willing to take up administrative tasks related to teaching
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organisation. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,836 (scale 10)
and a maximum €4,474 (scale 10), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
The contract covers a period of 4 years. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter by November 13, 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Peter Verburg
Position: Head of department Environmental Geography