Faculty of Psychology and Educational SciencesThe faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences is strong in education and research. The faculty offers …
Lecturer Programming / Docent Programmeren (f/m)
Programming at the VU The Department of Computer Science wishes to attract individuals who can strengthen our educational activities in high-quality …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 3545 - € 4852 per maand
Programming at the VU
The Department of Computer Science wishes to attract individuals who can strengthen our educational activities in high-quality instruction for the art of programming.
We currently give instruction to approximately 750 students in our own degree programs and an additional 250 students in related programs for other departments.
Among the languages taught by the department are:
• Other domain-specific languages
We seek candidates who can continue our long tradition in providing programming education that is oriented to the development of life-long skills for computing professionals and scientific researchers. We are also interested in exploring new paradigms of programming education that can help meet the needs of increasing numbers of students who come from a diverse set of other backgrounds.
In addition to lecturing tasks, candidates also have the opportunity to participate in related student-centric activities, such as a role as study advisor or the evaluation of relevant student projects. It is also possible to join the activities of particular research groups within the department (within the temporal constraints of the lecturing position).
We expect staff members to teach at least four Bachelor-level courses per year within the department, plus one or more service courses for others. A candidate may replace some of these courses with activities related to student supervision or advising. The candidate will also be expected to contribute service tasks within the department on a limited basis. Note that all of the department’s teaching is in English. The ability to offer service teaching for other departments in Dutch is beneficial.
• English language proficiency;
• Dutch language proficiency, or willingness to learn Dutch within 2 years of appointment.
• Experience in teaching computer programming in the languages used within the department.
• Documented excellence in teaching, based on existing student/staff evaluations.
• A willingness to participate in curriculum development and experimentation with new forms of lecturing.
• The successful candidate has a completed doctoral studies in a related field with relevant teaching experience.
The appointment will be for a period of 5 years. After this period the position might become permanent. You may find information about our excellent fringe benefits at www.workingatvu.nl.
• Remuneration of 8.3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance;
• Participation in a solid pension scheme (ABP);
• A minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment.
The starting date will be 1 September. A later starting date can be discussed.
The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience, range from a minimum of € 3.545,00 gross per month in the first year up to a maximum of
€ 4.852,00 gross per month (salary scale 11 CAO NU) based on a full-time employment.
For additional information please contact:
Dr. Stefan Schlobach
Phone: +31 20 59 87678
Department of Computer Sciences: www.cs.vu.nl/
Applicants are requested to write a letter in which they describe their abilities and motivation, accompanied by a curriculum vitae and two or three references (names and e-mail addresses).
Applications should be sent by email, via the application button, before August 16, 2018.
Please mention the vacancy number in the e-mail header.
Any other correspondence in response to this advertisement will not be dealt with.