Ongeveer 20 uur geleden - Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (RUG) - Groningen
PhD position: portable EEG research on social dynamics in schools
A full-time, PhD studentship on brain-to-brain synchrony during cooperation in childhood and its relation to mindset and social mindfulness is available at the department of Clinical- Neuro- and Developmental Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. The project is embedded within a larger, interdisciplinary project funded by the Ammodo Science Award 2020.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 32 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
A key challenge for investigating the development of social behavior is to capture its dynamics in a developmentally appropriate and ecologically valid way, while at the same time keeping the experimental rigor that is needed to make reliable inferences about the underlying behavioral and brain mechanisms. This PhD project aims to develop and use portable EEG paradigms to unravel neural mechanisms of cooperation in natural contexts (e.g. at school), taking into account also the natural social dynamics (e.g. social networks within classes). As new technologies can raise different expectations and fears in stakeholder groups, this project will also include a Responsible Research and Innovation study to assess stakeholder’s views and perspectives.
As a PhD candidate, you will work in close cooperation with the Social Educational Neuroscience Amsterdam (SENSA) team. Within the SENSA team, you will be part of a multidisciplinary group, including senior and more junior faculty members. Your project will be supervised by Dr. Tieme Janssen, Prof. Dr. Nienke van Atteveldt and Dr. Jellie Sierksma. More information on SENSA can be found here: www.socialeducationalneuroscience.com
- responsibility for all aspects of the data collection, including programming of the tasks and analyses, recruitment and participant testing (children in primary/secondary school)
- analysis of EEG data and behavioral data (e.g. questionnaires and social network data)
- manuscript preparation
- presentation of results at national and international conferences
- a completed MSc degree in the field of (neuro)psychology, cognitive neuroscience, social psychology or developmental psychology
- interest in social development and portable EEG
- affinity with programming and technical problem solving
- good knowledge of statistical data analysis
- strong analytical and writing skills
- good command of English and Dutch
- affinity to work with children and teachers
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,395 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €3,061 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a duration of 4 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until November 1, 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
Please see other vacancies for this project:
- PhD position: cooperation and helping between groups among children
- PhD position: development of social cognition in adolescence
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Dr. T.W.P. Janssen
Position: assistant professor
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature