Ongeveer 15 uur geleden - College voor de toelating van gewasbeschermingsmiddelen en biociden (Ctgb) - Ede
POSTDOC POSITION IN POLAR INVASION ECOLOGY
A 31 month post doc-position in Polar invasion ecology is available at the Department of Ecological Science, for the research project entitled ‘Aliens in the …
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 2640 - € 3425 per maand
A 31 month post doc-position in Polar invasion ecology is available at the Department of Ecological Science, for the research project entitled ‘Aliens in the polar regions’, funded by the Netherlands Polar Program (NWO). Within this project we aim to unravel the impacts of alien plant establishment on the functioning of terrestrial Arctic ecosystems in a warmer climate. What are the consequences of alien invasions for the primary productivity, nutrient availability and carbon cycling in Arctic ecosystems? In particular the large carbon stocks of sub-arctic tundra are of interest as they have large feedbacks to the global carbon cycle and greenhouse gas induced climate warming. In addition, we aim to establish the role of native species that could facilitate, as ‘invasion engineers’, the establishment of alien species. The candidate will perform growth experiments between native Arctic and invasive species under controlled laboratory conditions as well as under field conditions in the Arctic region (northern Scandinavia and Svalbard). The project will contribute to improve the research and environmental management activities related to alien invasions within the Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna. The project will be run in collaboration with prof. P. Convey from the British Antarctic Survey.
• Perform growth experiments between invasive and native Arctic vascular plants in order to identify potential success and impacts of invasive species
• Quantify the impact of invasive species on the functioning of Arctic ecosystem processes, such as primary production, carbon and nutrient cycling..
• Quantify the effect of invasive species on the release of soil carbon from deeper soil layers using stable isotopes
• Perform experiments to quantify the role of climate warming on the impact and success of invasive species.
• Identify native ‘invasion engineers’ that could facilitate success of invasive plants.
• Writing of scientific manuscripts at the end of the project..
• PhD in Ecological Sciences or comparable, with relevant research experience.
• Experience with plant ecology under laboratory and field conditions is essential.
• Experience with use of stable isotopes (13C) in experiments is preferred.
• Willingness and ability to work in remote Arctic regions
• Proficiency with statistical approaches and use of R.
• Ability to independently publish in peer reviewed science journals.
• Excellent social skills to work in an interdisciplinary international research team.
• English language proficiency both in speech and in writing.
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 2,640.- and a maximum € 3,425.- in accordance with salary scale 10, depending on your education and experience. The job profile (Onderzoeker 4) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
• a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
• 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
• considerable employer’s contribution to the ABP pension scheme
• contribution to commuting expenses
• optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Are you interested in this position? Send us an e-mail with your curriculum vitae accompanied by a cover letter and the names of one or two references by 21-12-2018. Mention vacancy number 18434.
Name: Dr. S.F. Bokhorst
For additional information please contact:
Name: Dr. S.F. Bokhorst
Phone number: +31 (0)20-5987078