Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD Slow Sand Filters
Are you the enthusiastic PhD scientist who wants to work on unraveling microbial ecological processes in relation to biodegradation of organic carbon in slow …
- Droevendaalsesteeg, Wageningen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
FunctieomschrijvingAre you the enthusiastic PhD scientist who wants to work on unraveling microbial ecological processes in relation to biodegradation of organic carbon in slow sand filtration? Then we are looking for you!!
The PhD position is part of the NWO-funded project 'Slow sand filtration for the next century' within the Partnership Program on Sand Filtration. The project uses a multidisciplinary approach to better understand the microbiological and physical-chemical processes in slow sand filtration (SSF) and aims at novel designs and operation of SSF to improve the microbiological water quality. The project is a collaboration between TU Delft (Department of Water Management) and Wageningen University & Research (WUR)(Molecular Ecology group within the Laboratory of Microbiology). The applicant that will be appointed in Wageningen will work on unraveling microbial ecological processes in relation to biodegradation of organic carbon in slow sand filtration, using latest state-of-the-art molecular biological and cultivation methods. The applicant will work in close collaboration with the PhD student that will be appointed at TU Delft and who will work on novel innovative civil engineering strategies to improve SSF.
- you have a Master degree in Microbiology, Biotechnology, Molecular Life Sciences or related field;
- you have a background in microbial ecology and with advanced knowledge on microbial community composition analysis and metagenomics;
- experience with bacterial cultivation and / or stable isotope probing is beneficial;
- the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team in an international environment and to work independently;
- you are a person with a pro-active attitude and good communication - and presentation skills;
- you have excellent English communication skills, orally as well as in scientific writing.
ConditionsThe successful applicant will be employed at the Laboratory of Microbiology, Wageningen University & Research. Salary and working conditions are according to the collective labor agreement of the Cooperative Association of Dutch Universities (VSNU) for PhD students. You receive a temporary contract for a period of 1.5 years with extension of 2.5 years after successful evaluation. Gross salary per month € 2325,-. in the first year rising up to € 2972,-. per month in the fourth year.
Wageningen University & Research stimulates internal career opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are ample opportunities for own initiative in a learning environment.
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural year-end bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be determined in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 232 vacation hours, the option to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a flexible working time: the possibility to work a maximum of 2 hours per week extra and thereby to build up extra leave;
- a choice model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented;
- use the sports facilities on campus;
- a versatile job in an international environment with varied activities in a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
Additional informationFor more information about this position, please contact Paul van der Wielen: email@example.com or Hauke Smidt: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the contractual aspects, please contact Joes van Meurs, HR advisor, telephone number +31 317 480101.
This vacancy is open until 14th November 2019.