Are you an enthusiastic researcher (MSc or PhD), with a relevant background in quantitative genetics and genomics and a passion for fish?
Wageningen University & Research Animal Breeding and Genomics is looking for a
Researcher in the area of fish breeding
We are looking for an enthusiastic researcher (MSc or PhD), with a relevant background in quantitative genetics and genomics, and competences required to evaluate and to report on breeding program evaluations in collaboration with colleagues of our successful team and relevant stakeholders. Most of the research projects will be linked to applied aquaculture breeding and contain research activities in international breeding programs. Successful candidates are reliable and accurate in collecting and analysing complex datasets and applying quantitative and molecular- genetic technologies to breeding strategies. Candidates should have demonstrable experience in breeding value estimation and breeding program analysis. A passion for fish is highly appreciated.
Wageningen University & Research Animal Breeding and Genomics comprises almost 100 employees, including professors, lecturers, senior and junior scientists, post-docs, PhD students and support staff. We perform research in quantitative genetics, genomics, breeding programs and genetic diversity, across the major livestock species and fish. Most research projects are undertaken in close collaboration with the breeding industry, for a large part under the umbrella of Breed4Food.
Candidates should have a MSc or PhD with at least one of the following subjects: statistics, animal or plant breeding, statistical genetics and preferably an affiliation with project management.
Further preferred skills:
- Be able to handle large data sets
- Programming skills in relation to genetic and genomic data analysis
- Good organizational and excellent communication skills (both spoken and written in English)
- Ability to work in a team of diverse scientists and multidisciplinary teams
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with key client representatives and research collaborators to ensure relevance and quality of research output
- Experience in project management
The position is available within Wageningen University & Research Animal Breeding and Genomics, that combines the activities of Wageningen Livestock Research and Wageningen University in the field of animal breeding and genomics.
Employment basis: Initially we offer a temporary contract of 36 hours (at most) a week, for a period of two years, with the possibility to obtain a permanent contract after that period. Salary depends on the qualifications and experience (scale 10-12, CAO Wageningen Research)
In addition, we offer:
- 8% holiday allowance;
- a structural end-of-year bonus of 3%;
- excellent training opportunities and secondary employment conditions;
- flexible working hours and holidays can possibly be settled in consultation so that an optimal balance between work and private life is possible;
- excellent pension plan through ABP;
- 171 vacation hours, the possibility to purchase extra and good supplementary leave schemes;
- a flexible model to put together part of your employment conditions yourself, such as a bicycle plan;
- a lively workplace where you can easily make contacts and where many activities take place on the Wageningen Campus. A place where education, research and business are represented
- make use of the sports facilities on campus.
Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from:
Ir. Lucia Kaal (Lucia.Kaal@wur.nl
; +31 317480515) or Prof R. Veerkamp (Roel.Veerkamp@wur.nl
; +31 317480540.
For further information about working at Wageningen University & Research, take a look at http://www.wur.nl/en/Jobs.htm
Closing date for applications: 6 October 2019