Ongeveer 24 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Postdoc student 'Towards a Quantitative Theory of Integer Programming'
We are looking for a talented postdoctoral researcher with a strong interest in the theory and practice of Integer Programming (IP). The research will be …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
We are looking for a talented postdoctoral researcher with a strong interest in the theory and practice of Integer Programming (IP). The research will be supported by the ERC grant "Towards a Quantitative Theory of Integer Programming".
The goals of this research are
- to develop a quantitative theory that can explain the effectiveness of the prevalent techniques used for solving IPs (e.g. branch & bound, cutting planes, diving heuristics, etc.),
- to develop new and effective techniques for solving IPs and
- to build new connections between the study of IP, theoretical computer science and optimization.
The research projects are designed to be interdisciplinary and are expected to require combining techniques from various areas of optimization (first order methods, interior point methods, simplex algorithms), theoretical computer science (discrepancy theory, fixed parameter tractability, smoothed analysis) and geometry (convex geometry, geometry of Euclidean lattices). Some sample research questions include:
- Can one obtain non-trivial upper bounds on the size of branch & bound trees produced by standard branching rules?
- Is there a cutting plane based polynomial time approximation scheme for the metric traveling salesman problem? More generally, can one develop a cutting plane framework with provable convergence guarantees?
- Can one automate basic FPT algorithms using the branch & bound framework?
- Can one demonstrate the efficiency of the simplex method for solving related sequences of linear programs (as one would encounter within branch & bound or cutting plane generation)?
- Can one develop practical rounding heuristics using discrepancy minimization algorithms?
- Is there a 2O(n) -time algorithm for general integer programming?
The postdoctoral candidate will be expected to conduct independent research on topics relevant to the above agenda, to publish this research at either top conferences or journals. The candidate must be available for an appointment of two years.
Supervised by: Daniel Dadush (website)
Thepostdoctoral candidate is required to have a strong background in at least one of the following areas: optimization, theoretical computer science or discrete mathematics. Research experience within the domain of IP (theory or practice) is a plus.
Candidates are expected to have an excellent command of English, and good academic writing and presentation skills.
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement for Research Centres ("CAO-onderzoeksinstellingen"). The gross monthly salary for an employee on a full time basis, depending on relevant work experience, ranges from € 3,477 to € 4,945. The appointment will be for a period of two years.
Employees are also entitled to a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.33%. CWI offers attractive working conditions, including flexible scheduling and help with housing for expat employees.
Please visit our website for more information about our terms of employment: https://www.cwi.nl/jobs/terms-of-employment
For more information about the vacancy, please contact Dr. Daniel Dadush, email email@example.com.
For more information about the N&O research group at CWI, please visit our website.
CWI encourages a diverse workforce: we endeavour to develop talent and creativity by bringing people from different backgrounds and cultures together. We recruit and select based on capabilities and talent. We strongly encourage everyone with the appropriate qualifications to apply for the vacancy, regardless of age, gender, origin, sexual orientation or physical abilities.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature