University Lecturer in Practical Philosophy
The Faculty of Humanities, Institute of Philosophy is looking for a University Lecturer in Practical Philosophy
- Cleveringaplaats, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
The Institute of Philosophy is seeking further to strengthen its research and teaching activities in practical philosophy, which includes ethics, moral philosophy, and political philosophy. We offer a full-time (38 hours per week), fixed-term post for the period of two years from 1 August 2021, or as soon as possible thereafter, with the possibility of a permanent contract conditional on performance and continued funding.
The successful candidate will take on the following responsibilities commensurate with career stage:
- Scholarly research in practical philosophy and dissemination of findings through appropriate channels;
- Teaching in our BA and MA programmes in Philosophy and in other Leiden University degree programmes as required, including supervision of BA and MA theses;
- Teaching in Dutch in due course;
- Supervision of PhD research;
- Acquisition of research funding;
- Representation of the field to external audiences and media;
- Active participation in running the institution.
- PhD degree in philosophy;
- Publication record in practical philosophy commensurate with career stage;
- Original research plans in practical philosophy;
- Teaching experience in practical philosophy and commitment to high-quality teaching practice;
- Specialisation in history of practical philosophy, feminist philosophy and/or environmental philosophy will be considered an advantage;
- Excellent command of English;
- For non-Dutch-speaking candidates, commitment to learn Dutch to level B1 within two years. The institute facilitates Dutch-language learning with reimbursement of costs and teaching relief for an approved training programme;
- Team player, but also able to carry out independent research and teaching;
- Flexible, enterprising, and enthusiastic.
We offer a full-time (38 hours per week), fixed-term post for the period of two years from 1 August 2021, or as soon as possible thereafter, with the possibility of a permanent contract conditional on performance and funding. Salary range, depending on training and experience, is from € 2.790,- to € 5.127,- gross (pay scale 10 to 11 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities), based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development, and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model offers some freedom to assemble a personalised set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. There is a Dual Career Programme for international spouses. For more information, see the website.
University Teaching Qualification
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification. If the successful applicant does not already possess it or its equivalent, he/she must be willing to obtain this qualification within two years.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values in research and teaching. We especially welcome applications from members of underrepresented groups. Women and members of ethnic minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Enquiries may be directed to Prof. James McAllister, academic director, Institute of Philosophy, telephone +31 71 527 2004, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.