1 dag geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Assistant professor in machine learning at the Amsterdam Machine Learning Lab
AMLAB is seeking a junior faculty in the general field of machine learning methods. The position is broadly defined; we consider any candidate who regularly …
- Science Park, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 38 uur
- € 3637 - € 5656 per maand
AMLAB is seeking a junior faculty in the general field of machine learning methods. The position is broadly defined; we consider any candidate who regularly published in some of the top venues in machine learning, such as Neurips, ICML, ICLR, UAI, AISTATS, JMLR, or TPAMI. Topics of interest are supervised, unsupervised and semi-supervised learning, representation learning, domain adaptation, active learning, reinforcement learning, Bayesian methods, compression and quantization, Bayesian optimization, hybrid generative-discriminative methods, uncertainty quantification etc. We are open to more ‘exotic topics’ such as quantum ML or other physics inspired ML topics as well. We are interested in a candidate with a practical aptitude to build new methods and models and test them or real-world data. We also hope that the candidate has a strong preference to collaborate with other researchers in the natural sciences, medical sciences, social sciences and industry.
What are you going to do?
In this tenure track position you are expected to set up a research group and co-manage and scientifically co-direct the machine learning and deep learning labs in AMLAB. In addition, the you are expected to acquire your own independent funding from sources such as NWO/STW (e.g. VIDI), H2020 (e.g. ERC starting grant) and industry.
In terms of teaching, you are expected to contribute to strengthening the curriculum in machine learning and deep learning of the Bachelor and Master AI and related programs such as the bachelor and master Information Systems, which all offer ML courses. The total teaching load will be around 30%.
You should have a broad interest in machine learning which means that you must be able to teach a wide variety of AI and ML courses in both BSc and MSc.
You are expected to contribute to valorization, both in terms of engaging with the media as well as applying the state-of-the-art research tools to applications in society. UvA spinoffs that bring technology to industry and society are highly encouraged.
Finally, you are expected to help with the management of the Informatics Institute.
- Your research interests should fall within the general area of machine learning;
- a doctorate in Computer Science or a related area;
- a strong track record in research is important, as demonstrated by independent scientific publications in peer reviewed journals, as well as research interest and expertise in the area of machine learning;
- the ability to obtain research funding in a competitive environment and experience in the process of proposal writing;
- a proven track record of teaching and didactic abilities as well as the ability to supervise BSc, MSc and PhD students;
- management skills required for general academic administration, organisation and coordination tasks;
- excellent communication skills;
- an excellent command of English and willingness to learn the Dutch language;
- at least two years of postdoc experience is expected but not strictly necessary.
International research experience is preferred.
We offer you a tenure-track agreement for five years (which is part of a six-year temporary appointment). At the start, we will draw up an agreement with you, specifying the tenure-track requirements for research, teaching and management tasks that need to be fulfilled in order to assess progress after three years and after five years. The requirements in this agreement are negotiable and depend on your experience and scientific profile. Following a positive assessment after five years the appointment will become permanent.
The starting salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel, and depending on experience and qualifications. It will range from a minimum of €3,637 (scale 10) to a maximum of €5,656 (scale 12) gross per month, based on fulltime (38 hours a week), exclusive 8 % holiday allowance and 8.3 % end-of-year bonus. A favorable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
Are you curious about our extensive package of secondary employment benefits? Then find out more about working at the Faculty of Science.
Do you have questions about this vacancy? Or would you like to know more about our organisation? Please contact:
prof. Max Welling
T: +31 (0)20 525 8256