Ongeveer 18 uur geleden - Gemeente Arnhem - Arnhem
Assistant Professor Law & Society
Leiden University, the Van Vollenhoven Institute for Law, Governance and Society (VVI) seeks applicants for the position of Assistant Professor Law & Society
- Steenschuur, Leiden, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 38 uur
In September 2020 VVI will start with a unique, one-year, English-taught Master programme that focuses on the social-scientific study of law and society. The development of this Master is a response to the growing societal demand for an empirical approach to law. Due to the increased complexity of the world we are living in, an interdisciplinary perspective is frequently needed to understand and address societal problems. Nowadays, university graduates are expected to approach complex societal issues from different perspectives and to connect these perspectives when trying to resolve them. The master is unique in its broad geographical scope (Global North and Global South) and its anthropological/sociological approach which keeps the study of the law in a central position.
- Teaching and developing socio-legal courses in VVI’s academic domain, for the bachelors and masters programmes of Leiden Law School and Leiden University College;
- Developing research and conducting research in VVI’s academic domain;
- Cooperating in the acquisition and management of research and teaching projects.
- Relevant Masters degree in Law, and/or Social Sciences, and/or Humanities;
- PhD degree directly relevant to VVI’s academic domain and approach;
- Teaching experience; proven record as good, inspiring teacher;
- Experience with developing new teaching modules;
- Experience with socio-legal research on the national and local level in the Global North and/or the Global South;
- Good publication record commensurate with career stage;
- Good language skills, including an excellent command of English. Knowledge of Dutch is considered an advantage;
- Team player with strong proven organizational skills, and relevant networks;
- Willingness to travel.
We offer an one year term position with the intention of renewal conditional on funding and performance. Salary range from €3,637.- to € 4,978.- gross per month on a full-time basis (pay scale 11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, she/ he must be willing to obtain this Qualification shortly.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
For information and inquiries regarding this position, please contact Pauline Vincenten, email firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 071-527 8905.