3 dagen geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
Four PhD positions 'Beyond Sharia: The Role of Sufism in Shaping Islam' (4 years, 1.0 FTE)
The Faculty of Humanities is looking for a Four PhD positions 'Beyond Sharia: The Role of Sufism in Shaping Islam'. Are you interested? Apply
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2434 - € 3111 per maand
Beyond Sharia: The Role of Sufism in Shaping Islam (chaired by Prof. Asghar Seyed-Gohrab) examines the emergence, flourishing and lasting appeal of non-conformist movements in Islamic intellectual history from the tenth century to the present day, investigating how Islamic antinomian movements consolidated Islam in a vast region from the Balkans to Bengal, while offering methods of self-reflection that allowed for critical thinking within Islamic streams of thought. By examining how generations of Islamic mystics and intellectuals in the Persianate world challenged, redefined or rejected Islamic canonical law in their poetic, artistic, philosophical and political writings and teachings, this project generates significant new insights into transgression in Islam.
Please indicate for which of the following projects you would like to apply:
- The PhD candidate will conduct research into the phenomenon of the wise fools in the early period of Islam, in particular consulting Arabic and Persian hagiographical and literary sources, while also paying attention to other religious traditions in the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.
- The PhD candidate will examine the figure of a non-conformist Islamic dervish called qalandar and his conceptual world, the theological debates these dervishes generated, and the different ways in which qalandari topoi were applied in classical Persian poetry: in the religious or secular sphere, metaphorically or in reality.
- The PhD candidate will examine ‘Divine Religion’ (din-e elahi) at the Indian Mughal court of Emperor Akbar. While analysing the roots and implications of this Divine Religion and its concomitant “Universal Peace,” the student will contextualise the works of the poet laureate Feyzi (1547-1595) and other prominent courtly figures, paying attention to the polemical arguments against the Divine Religion.
- The PhD candidate will investigate the modern reception history of the 13th-century mystic Jalal al-Din Rumi, focusing on how his non-conformist ideas are interpreted as a humanist philosophy, transcending religious boundaries.
Additional information can be found on the website of the project: https://islamicpiety.sites.uu.nl
The successful candidate will have:
- a Master’s degree either in Persian Studies, Islamic Studies, Arabic Studies or Religious Studies by the time of appointment;
- the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, with good organizational and communication skills;
- creativity and is innovative in her/his work;
- expertise in working with primary Persian and Arabic primary sources;
- proficiency in spoken and written English.
ConditionsThis is a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for the duration of 18 months. In case of good performance and a positive evaluation, the contract will be extended for the remaining period of 30 months (4 years in total). The gross salary starts with €2,434 per month in the first year and increases to €3,111 per month in the fourth year of employment (scale P according to the Collective Employment Agreement of the Dutch Universities) for a full-time employment.
Besides that, you will receive a holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. Utrecht University also has an appealing package of terms of employment, including the choice for a good balance between work and private (a good arrangement for leave, among other things), possibilities for development and an excellent pension scheme. More information on working at Utrecht University can be found here.