Ongeveer 23 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Delft (TUD) - Delft
PhD position in Online and Approximation Algorithms (1.0 FTE)
We are looking for a PhD candidate who is interested in theoretical research on online and approximation algorithms!
- Domplein, Utrecht, Utrecht
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 38 - 40 uur
- € 2395 - € 3061 per maand
We are looking for a candidate to fill a 5-year PhD position on Online and Approximation Algorithms. The position consists of 70% research and 30% teaching. This will allow you to develop a strong academic profile. As a PhD candidate, you primarily perform research on online and approximation algorithms, design novel algorithms and analyze the competitive/approximation ratio by providing mathematical proofs. The goal is to publish the results in scientific journals and proceedings and present them at international conferences. This should result in a PhD thesis. You will also be involved in teaching by supervising tutorial groups of Bachelor's and Master's level courses and also by supervising student projects.
You will be part of the Algorithms and Complexity group of Prof Hans L. Bodlaender and will work under the daily supervision of Dr Hsiang-Hsuan (Alison) Liu. The group aims to explore by fundamental studies the limits of efficient computation and to provide innovative algorithmic solutions for problems from different application contexts. The main research areas are graph and network algorithms, computational complexity, algorithmic modeling and optimization, and robust combinatorial optimization and simulation. The group runs a weekly seminar, jointly with the Geometric Computing group, where faculty and students present their recent work in all of these areas.
You are an enthusiastic and driven student and hold a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field. You also have:
- a strong interest in research on online and/or approximation algorithms and analysis;
- experience with algorithm design and analysis;
- strong written and oral communication skills in English.
Candidates of all nationalities may apply. The university is striving for gender balance in its research and teaching staff. Hence, women are especially encouraged to apply for these positions. Candidates are encouraged to mention any personal circumstances that need to be taken into account in their evaluation (parental leave, military service etc.).
- the opportunity to be part of a collaborative and dedicated team of Researchers;
- a position for five years;
- a full-time gross salary ranging from €2,395 to €3,061 per month (scale P according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao));
- benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the cao for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This way we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr Hsiang-Hsuan (Alison) Liu (Assistant Professor) via email@example.com.
Do you have questions about the application procedure? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.