Ongeveer 24 uur geleden - Technische Universiteit Eindhoven - Eindhoven
Postdoc in global modelling of biomass burning aerosol
Are you interested in atmospheric composition? Would you like to solve one of Nature's puzzles? Do you like to work with complex computer codes and large amounts of data? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- De Boelelaan, Amsterdam, Noord-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 36 - 40 uur
- € 2709 - € 4274 per maand
Landscape fires inject (biomass burning) aerosol into the air where it affects human health and climate. Global aerosol models, combined with best estimates of fire emissions, underestimate aerosol optical thickness by a factor 2-5. Several explanations have been offered without a consensus on the solution. You will join one of the leading teams on this topic and use a diverse and complimentary set of remote sensing and in-situ observations as well as a combination of global and regional models to advance our understanding of biomass burning aerosols.
- Prepare a suite of remote sensing and in-situ datasets for model evaluation
- Run a global and regional aerosol model and conduct sensitivity studies
- Perform extensive model evaluation to understand remaining uncertainties
- Present results at conferences and in peer-reviewed publications
- PhD in Earth sciences, physics, chemistry or related discipline
- Experience with programming in FORTRAN, Python or a similar language
- Experience with aerosol models and/or remote sensing data
ConditionsA challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,709 (scale 10) and a maximum €4,274 (scale 10), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.9 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 1 year, with the possibility of extension.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest charge
Additional informationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 14 October 2019. The job interviews are planned for October 21 and 25, when possible please take them into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Nick Schutgens
Telephone: +31-20 5987307