Dean Erasmus School of History, Culture and Communication
Currently the School is implementing a new structure aimed at improving the governance of the organisation. In the new structure ESHCC is led by the Dean, who …
- Burgemeester Oudlaan, Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
Currently the School is implementing a new structure aimed at improving the governance of the organisation. In the new structure ESHCC is led by the Dean, who chairs a board consisting of a Dean, Vice Dean of Research, Vice Dean of Education, and a Director Business Operations. The School now seeks to appoint a new Dean. The new Dean will have ultimate responsibility for the School’s teaching and research activities as well as for its operational management and increasing societal impact. In executing her tasks the new Dean will work with a motivated and newly appointed team in tackling diverse challenges and collaborate closely with the participatory bodies.
ESHCC is an ambitious, interdisciplinary school where a mix of social sciences and humanities allows for unique results. The EUR recognises the possibilities for growth of these disciplines and importance of societal impact in its new strategy, which makes it a perfect time for a new lead in the School. Research and education accreditations repeatedly showed very positive outcomes, yet the visibility in the outside world is still relatively low.
The new Dean will focus on the strategic positioning of ESHCC as a main player both inside the EUR, externally and in relation to the outside world. The Dean’s responsibility clearly stretches beyond the School: together with the deans from the six other faculties and two institutes, united in the College of Deans, the new Dean contributes to and supports interfaculty cooperation and stimulates connections with Erasmus-wide initiatives in view of further development of the university as a whole. The School may benefit from this to a large extent given the fact that the size and breadth of humanities at the EUR is relatively small. The new Dean also will work on the issue of work-pressure for both permanent and temporary staff and financial stability which needs permanent attention.
Reporting directly to the Executive Board of EUR, the Dean has the personality and drive to articulate a compelling vision for the faculty’s future and the ability to create an environment in which academics and professional service staff can flourish. The new Dean currently is a professor at a Dutch or foreign university with excellent academic credentials in the field of humanities or social sciences, with a proven inter/multidisciplinary approach and international orientation and a strong signature in engagement and creating societal impact.
The new Dean
• has convincing collaborative leadership qualities based on a sound scholarly reputation and inspirational ambitions;
• is pre-eminently a team player, not only in collaboration with board members, department heads and the faculty council, but also reaching out to all colleagues and students;
• communicates openly and acts transparently, is binding and inspiring, listens to people and their arguments;
• is always respectful and open minded but decisive if needed and shows courage in difficult situations;
• values bottom-up initiatives and sees the added value of employee and student participation;
• has excellent communication skills in English and Dutch or can master the Dutch language with a at least passive understanding as minimum within one year.
The new Dean will be appointed as full professor with a temporary appointment in the role of Dean for four years, with the possibility of one reappointment and preferably starting before the end of 2020. The role of Dean at ESHCC is not a fulltime position and can therefore be combined with research or other activities. The compensation package is competitive to European salaries and also comes with additional specific and attractive secondary terms of employment. EUR offers an internationally oriented and inclusive work environment.
Middels onderstaande knop kun je direct solliciteren op deze vacature.Reageer op deze vacature