Ongeveer 17 uur geleden - UNU-MERIT - Maastricht
Professor of Technology and Global Development
------Please find a description of the academic area in the attached full vacancy text----- Without being prescriptive it is expected that the successful …
- Kortenaerkade, Den Haag, Zuid-Holland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 - 40 uur
------Please find a description of the academic area in the attached full vacancy text-----
Without being prescriptive it is expected that the successful applicant will develop research around themes such as:
- The use of technological applications and innovations by governments to deliver more effective public services especially in the areas of social protection and health
- To identify and examine how new technologies and innovations may be used to tackle global issues such as environmental sustainability and climate change
- To explore barriers to uptake, identify the effects of new technologies and explore how promising technologies may lead to greater global benefits (reduce poverty, enhance inclusive growth) as opposed to leading to greater inequality within and across countries
In its recent research evaluation, ISS received high ratings on academic excellence, societal relevance and viability of its research. The institute wants to maintain or exceed this level of performance and the candidate will be expected to contribute to this aim. The candidate will be expected to conduct and develop excellent research within the ISS research programme, collaborate with researchers in ISS, EUR and outside, publish, acquire external funding, contribute to societal relevance of research, co-supervise PhD researchers, and engage in management and other duties in the research programme. The successful candidate will also have the freedom to develop and lead a group which focuses on technology and global development.
The candidate will be expected to contribute to teaching, development and evaluation of teaching in institute-wide teaching activities, to take up MA supervisions, and to engage in coordination and management of teaching activities.
The candidate is expected to be able to embed and link research and teaching activities to societal developments, in the global South and/or in the global North. Valorisation, contributions to public debate and capacity building projects are also part of the engagement tasks to which the candidate will be expected to contribute.
Required Skills and Expertise
We are looking for candidates who meet the following requirements:
- An academic background (PhD) in technology/ innovation/ development studies, (development/ micro) economics, business, public policy and management
- Recognized authority in the field
- Proven capability and sensitivity for inter-disciplinary work
- Ability to embed the field in the overall ISS research programme and themes
- Strong quantitative skills
- Ability to conduct, collect, use large-scale survey data as well to gather and analyze big data
- Excellent and proven academic research skills, including a strong publication record
- Demonstrated ability in developing and leading research programs
- Demonstrated capacity to acquire and manage research funding
- Proven ability to supervise Ph.D and MA students
- Demonstrated capacity and skills in developing, leading and delivering courses in the area of technology and global development at the post-graduate level (Ph.D/MA students)
- Possession of BKO certificate (BasisKwalificatieOnderwijs) = Teaching in Higher Education qualification) or willingness to obtain this qualification soon after joining ISS;
- Ability to engage with relevant non-academic actors by demonstrating the societal relevance of academic research, including e.g. by contributions to public debate.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to teaching, research and service in multicultural environments.
(see overview vsnu competences, https://www.vsnu.nl/en_GB/job_classification_ufo.html)
- Persuasiveness, ability to inspire and lead research/teaching teams
- Clear vision regarding technology and global development
- Managing for results
- Working in teams, in collaboration / cooperation
Special procedures apply to the appointment of professors. The selected candidate will be proposed to the Rector/Dean ISS, who in turn will propose the candidate to the College of Promoties consisting of all deans of Erasmus University Rotterdam plus the Rector Magnificus. After approval, the Executive Board of Erasmus University appoints the candidate.
The selected candidate will be offered an initial 5 year contract at the level of Professor, with the possibility of extension and a permanent contract, conditional on performance. The candidate will be expected to take up the position as soon as possible.
In accordance with the conditions applied at Erasmus University Rotterdam as indicated in the Collective Labour Agreement (CAO NU) of the Dutch universities, the salary is dependent on the candidate’s experience corresponds to scale H2, which is between € 5,582 and € 8,127 gross per month, on a fulltime basis. In addition, EUR pays an 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year payment of 8.3% and offers excellent secondary benefits including 41 annual leave days, on a fulltime basis.
The International Institute of Social Studies is committed to building and sustaining a community based on inclusiveness, equity and diversity and the ISS community believes this will contribute to the ISS mission and vision of being the best institute in its field. ISS is an equal opportunities employer and we encourage applications from candidates of all genders, ethnicities and nationalities. Given the current composition of the ISS and priorities relating to staff diversity, the Institute has a preference for applicants originating from the Global South and also encourages applications from minority candidates.
For more information about ISS, please visit: www.iss.nl.