Junior Researcher in Speech Technology
You will work on a new and challenging application-oriented project with significant societal impact: SignON is a user-centric and community-driven project …
- Houtlaan, Nijmegen, Gelderland
- Tijdelijk contract / Tijdelijke opdracht
- Uren per week:
- 40 uur
- € 4402 - € 4402 per maand
You will work on a new and challenging application-oriented project with significant societal impact: SignON is a user-centric and community-driven project that aims to facilitate the exchange of information among deaf, hard-of-hearing and hearing individuals across Europe targeting the Irish, British, Dutch, Flemish and Spanish sign languages and English, Irish, Dutch and Spanish oral languages. The SignON communication service will be more than an advanced machine translation system. Behind the scenes, SignON will incorporate sophisticated machine learning capabilities that will allow (i) learning new Sign and oral languages; (ii) style-, domain- and user-adaptation and (iii) automatic error correction, based on user feedback. To the user, SignON will deliver signed conversations via a life-like avatar built with the latest graphics technologies. The Centre for Language and Speech Technology (CLST) at Radboud University will be in charge of the automatic speech recognition component of the system.
- A Master’s degree in engineering, computer science, machine learning, signal processing, computational linguistics, or other relevant discipline.
- Experience with automatic speech recognition and spoken dialogue systems.
- Ample experience with the Kaldi/Tensorflow/PyTorch speech recognition environment, language models, acoustic models, scoring and rescoring.
- Fluent command of the Python scripting language.
- Experience with Unix work environments.
- Team player.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Preferably a good command of Dutch.
- Employment: 1.0 FTE.
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 4,402 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 10).
- The exact salary depends on the candidate's qualifications and amount of relevant professional experience.
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: 1 April 2021 – 1 January 2024.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions. They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
Additional informationFor more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Henk van den Heuvel, director CLST